lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Bray74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 1998 Ez-go Cold Starting

I have a 1998 Gasser that is hard to start when cold. It seems to do it upon initial start up and again after sitting a couple of minutes. When I take out it initially acts like it is flooding out like to much gas and not enough air then clears up and runs good. I have adjusted the valves and changed air & fuel filters and gapped and installed new plugs. I dismantled and cleaned out the carb and it's still doing it. The only thing I did to the carb was straighten the choke valve that was slightly bent and allowing it to stay partially closed. Now that its winter it's really beginning to act up. I'm up for any and all advise. Thanks in advance.....
Bray74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1998 Ez-go Cold Starting

Are you holding it to the floor? some will start better with just a little throttle.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Bray74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not really just enought to get the gen motor rolling to get it started. It just seems like it's getting too much gas. I think it's an adjustment problem like the throttle cable is to tight and allowing it to flood out upon starting. I'll readjust everything to factory spec's to see if the previous owner messed with anything. It's progressivly gotten worse throught the year and now I'm ready to deal with it.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I'd also check the gas (smell) could have been setting awhile.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Bray74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I use this cart every day chasing the kids while they are on their 4-wheelers. Should there be a check valve that keeps the gas from flowing back into the tank? I can look into the fuel filter and I can see it's empty after sitting a few minutes. I replaced all the fuel lines with a clear line when I changed the filter and it seems to be draining the gas back into the tank.

I appreciate your thoughts. It will most likely be something simple.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I'm lost maybe some one else can help, the fuel filters are usually only half full even when when running, I did have one once that the pick-up tube in the tank was loose and sucking air, they are just glued into the fitting, don't know if that would be your problem though. Good Luck
Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Not sure about this, you say it seems to be flooding then it seems your saying it can't get enough gas.
Do you use the choke while starting?
Could be the pick up tube, could be fuel pump issue or its hoses (never seen clear vac hose), maybe trash in the carb, valve issues, maybe a burnt one. wet/dry compression test may help tell. If I was guessing i'd go with trash in the carb.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum Bray74....................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO