lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
jhorn36
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Headers????

Hi to all, new to forum, and to the whole cart scene. Just bought the first of probably many carts. An 05 ez-go gas with the new style mci??? engine. Does anyone make a header/exhaust for this thing? I saw that there are a couple out there for the older style, but havn't found one for the new style head?

Thanks for the help.
jhorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
jhorn36
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Headers????

Ok,,,,so noone knows this?

Alright, then, I will take all the newbies along on the ride with me, and try to tell you everything that I find out. With years of experience in racing, wrenching, and plain common sense,,,lets see what happens here.

Today, I started looking at the whole governer situation on my 05 TXT with the new style head. Ok, what noone is telling you is FIRST, check and make sure that you are getting full throttle, that's right, mash the gas, and see if you can move the butterfly on the carb any. (A lot easier to get to if you remove the anti tamper plate above the carb. If you can't get any movement out of the butterfly, then move on, if it does move though, go to the small cable that is hooked to the governer, and runs toward the rear of the cart, then loops back around to the carb. Loosen the nuts on the cable at the brace, and move the cable tighter, little by little, until you get good full throttle on the carb, tighten the nuts, and off you go, you now have full throttle.

Okay, after that, and again, this is on a new style motor, airbox assembly, not sure if it is on the older engines. remove the airbox tube and access the front of the carb. There is a small plate in front of the opening, that restricts airflow into the carb, not sure why this is there other than to slow us down on the golf course, remove it, and set it to the side along with the nuts. This is all hotrod 101 stuff so far, so I cannot understand why it is not posted somewhere on here. Any restriction is a bad thing, so removing restriction is always good for horsepower. I have not tested yet, with and without the plate to see what happens, but that is in the works for the weeks to come. I will test top speed, and acceleration with stopwatch, and gps.

Next,,,,get rid of that stock airbox, and tube. Put some kind of aftermarket air filter on the thing and throw the tube, or airbox as far as you can. No special parts needed on mine, just have to measure the O.D. of the adapter, and run up to the parts store. I think on the older ones, you have to get an adapter to hook up the breather tube???? Not sure on this, as I don't have an older one to look at yet.

Ok,,,all for now, I will try to get some pics on here and help out all that I can. I will also take you all along on my little ride.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Goat53
Gone Wild

I wish I did know somthing about headers , but all of mine are 2 cycle and must have backpressure to run at all , on the racing lawn mower engines we put a straight pipe on the engine with water base house paint on it and reved up the engine till it got running temp and the paint would burn off of the pipe ,, 2" past the burn was a tuned header length . not scientific but worked pretty well .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
jhorn36
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hmmmm,,,,that might work on these things too. Not a whole lot more than a glorified lawn mower engine from what I have seen so far.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't throw all those stock parts, plates and air boxes away - You'll be putting them back on very soon!

I think your first test run will be a disappointment. She'll run a little slower and backfire a bit...
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
jhorn36
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Then I will need to open something else up to allow it to breathe better. Simple....
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorn36 View Post
Then I will need to open something else up to allow it to breathe better. Simple....
Oh boy!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No reply...
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
jhorn36
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok,,,so please explain to me with all of your wisdom...why you don't want these motors to breathe better?

Every motor that I have ever tweaked on,,,has went faster, and ran bette when it breathed better. More air fuel,,,more HP. Pretty simple combination. You just have to get the mixture in,,,then the exhaust out, and you have to burn it along the way. They do it all the time with racing engines in go-karts, and they run much faster than stock.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum jhorn36...............

Let me see if I got this right..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorn36 View Post
Ok,,,,so noone knows this?
Okay, after that, and again, this is on a new style motor, airbox assembly, not sure if it is on the older engines. remove the airbox tube and access the front of the carb. There is a small plate in front of the opening, that restricts airflow into the carb, not sure why this is there other than to slow us down on the golf course, remove it, and set it to the side along with the nuts. This is all hotrod 101 stuff so far, so I cannot understand why it is not posted somewhere on here. Any restriction is a bad thing, so removing restriction is always good for horsepower. I have not tested yet, with and without the plate to see what happens, but that is in the works for the weeks to come. I will test top speed, and acceleration with stopwatch, and gps.

Next,,,,get rid of that stock airbox, and tube. Put some kind of aftermarket air filter on the thing and throw the tube, or airbox as far as you can. No special parts needed on mine, just have to measure the O.D. of the adapter, and run up to the parts store. I think on the older ones, you have to get an adapter to hook up the breather tube???? Not sure on this, as I don't have an older one to look at yet.
Ok, you are new to golf carts............
and you want us to remove these parts and throw them away and all will be ok.............

And you haven't even tried it yet??????????

Not in this lifetime buddy!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO