lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G14 engine blown...

I think I cooked it...started skipping and oil coming out around the valve cover. Is it very hard to rebuild my original engine? Is it worth it? The cart is lifted with 21" tires. If I do rebuild it, is there much I could do to it to get a bit more power out of it? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
andcon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 engine blown...

Best way to get more power is buy a larger engine for it. You can do a few things but none will make that much of a difference. I put a clone in a G9 and its like double the power, about same speed since it will not rev much higher. But then it was quite the hassle to make the mount and pipe everything in too. Cost was under 500 using the stock clutch.

They are not that hard to rebuild. You could cut the head and clean up the ports, going to do that to the next clone I put in. A free flow exhaust might help as would modding the airbox. I don't think anyone makes a cam for them and that is what is needed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

ive read alot of your posts...alot of good info there. Do you think I could use the stock clutch with a 18 van.? I dont mind doing some of my own fabricating for the motor mounts of whatever. $2000 for the kit seems a bit much. I'm a cheapie, and don't mind doing some of the work myself.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

18 vanguard is a good one all you need is a rev kit and they fly. I think it would work, the larger engines have more torque so they spool up faster than the stock engine. This 16hp clone will hit full shift rpm in about 2-3 seconds from not running. It might not be perfect but it works better than stock and way more power.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

What does the rev kit consist of?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It used to be ~$105 it was better pushrods and spring shims iirc. Then you can rev it pretty hard like 6K rpm. The 18 is the best in that it has a shorter stroke so it revs higher, while still having formidable torque down low. A 23hp has more torque, and can be made to rev high too if you buy a bunch of parts to put in it lol like a cam and rods, the valvetrain stuff, etc. You can also build up the 18 later if you want but the rev kit allows you to run it hard with no governor for pretty cheap. The high rpm means it will outrun most any other lawn engine without internal mods far as top speeds, using same gearing of course.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha