lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default reed valve

greetings, have not been around due to health problems....have a question?-
have an 81 g1a , have replaced piston and rings, carb, reed valves(x2), plug,etc mechanic says i need the reed valve assembly, cannot find such animal in my searches. shows to be one on several diagrams, but not does have a part number for the whole assembly, just the reed valves, can anyone give me some advice??? on limited income, cannot afford to spend much more on my "country wheel chair". thanks, jim
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: reed valve

i think the thing you are looking for is technicaly called a "reed cage" really they never go bad either. you can just bend them back a little and they are good to go from what i am told. Somone please correct me if im wrong.

What is your cart doing that its not running right??

Of all the things you listed you didnt list the most common problem with these carts and that is crank case seals. And YES if they are bad it will not run right or even at all. Have you remplaced those?
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Reedm valves seldom, if ever, go bad.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

the seals were replaced about a year ago, and the mech. said they were fine. he told me the carb was spitting gas out the top and there was not enough vacuum to suck it through into the motor. it cranks fine but will not run.
before i took it in i only had about 60 lbs of comp.. now there's around 130, the piston looked real rough and the ring was missing 1/2 " of material, don't know where that chunk went!
can the reeds be installed incorrectly? i can't get my head around what the mech. is telling me about replacing the cage, and i can't find one anyhow. chuddly i will tell him what you said about bending them back into shape. thanks to both of ya'll for responding! jim
Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreimers View Post
the seals were replaced about a year ago, and the mech. said they were fine. he told me the carb was spitting gas out the top and there was not enough vacuum to suck it through into the motor. it cranks fine but will not run.
before i took it in i only had about 60 lbs of comp.. now there's around 130, the piston looked real rough and the ring was missing 1/2 " of material, don't know where that chunk went!
can the reeds be installed incorrectly? i can't get my head around what the mech. is telling me about replacing the cage, and i can't find one anyhow. chuddly i will tell him what you said about bending them back into shape. thanks to both of ya'll for responding! jim
You can't have 1/2 of a ring missing. All 2 cycles need ring compression and crank case pressure to run. I'm trying to understand, did the shop do a "top end"? Chuddly's recommondation is what I do, bend the leafs so they are completely closed again.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

hey small block, how are ya? not half the ring, one half inch or so of the ring, i watched him remove the piston. i'll tell him to try the bend me shape me method and see what happens. i realize the ring is compressed, but there was actually material missing. i assume that was why the piston looked so bad. scarred, beat up, battered, abused, just like me!!! i'll keep ya'll posted. again, thank you so much for the input, jim
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha