lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Talking Battery drain problem

I just installed a big block kit in my G-16, doing so I got to remove all the old wiring which is good because Getting to rewire everything means that I know its right. My problem is this. I have installed two fuse blocks and one grounding block. My fuse blocks each have 13 fuse bays. One block for things that run off the key switch.The other for things that need to be constant. I ground everything into one grounding block that goes to the neg side of the battery.The reason is because on yammi's for some reason it used to blow fuses grounding to the frame. The only things I have on the fuse block that runs the constant are the radio constant wire and the lights so if needed i can run the hazards and a horn. I didnt have this problem until the horn came into play here. First the directions said to put the horn button on the ground wire. I went to start the next day and it was dead. So I switch it around so the button would be on the power wire. Still dead battery. I did charge it after the first time.I suspect its one of 3 things happening. First it could be that the grounding block is installed on the frame so I inadvertently grounded everything to both the battery and the frame.The second thing is that my stereo amplifier is hooked directly to the battery and could be taking power even though the radio isnt on. Thirdly it could be this new horn. Another thing is that the new motor is directly to the battery and after installing the horn I was driving and everything quit and the fuse on the motor blew. I replaced it and got home but the volt gauge was reading higher than normal. Normally it says about 12 to 13 volts while going down the road but after that happened it says 14 to 14.5. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. OOH and I am in lower middle Michigan and am looking for a good campground with plenty of trails if any knows of any that would be awesome.
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
mr2nr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery drain problem

I'd start by testing the battery. Sounds like it's bit it by the two things you mentioned.

The best way to diagnose this if the battery is good is disconnect all three things you suspect is draining the battery and let it sit and see if the battery is still draining. If the horn is the culprit I would replace it. After that go over your wiring again and look for any stray hairs that might be grounding out. Is the Amp remote wire hooked up to the battery or just the heavy gauge supply wire? Do you have a power distribution block?

The Voltage should be around 14V while your generator is running if it goes any higher than 15V constantly and have looked over your wiring religiously I would replace the battery.
mr2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery drain problem

the amp is remote turn on so when the radio powers up the amp turns on. But One reason i suspect the amp is because after 3 years of use and being left in the cart all year even during Michigan winters ,although being mounted under the rear seat, it still could of gotten wet and snowed in,The other day it stopped working. The power light is green but no sound coming out of subs.I checked it with different speakers and a multi meter and no power coming out to speaker wires.So I need a new one anyway.This time a marine grade amp. The battery is new. My wife bought me the biggest darn battery walmart had on the shelf. I will check the other things as soon as the rain stops.
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha