lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default My first golf cart, The G9 Adventure

Alright I thought perhaps I would start a new thread on my first cart.
A little run down on it for you guys who didn't see my other thread.
91 G9 that I picked up for a grand sum of $250.Came with a decent body,EZGO top mounted on it which looks fairly good on it.
The bad news is the engine locked up on the previous owner about a week before I got it.Oh and the seat is ripped.
So my son and I drove 3 hrs south of us to pick her up and bring her home.All while trying to not let the wife find out about the little deal I had made.
I actually kept it squirereled away for 4 days before getting busted.
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission sometimes
I will post up a few shots and then we will dive into what I have found so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03935.jpg (142.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03936.jpg (177.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03937.jpg (169.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03938.jpg (122.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03939.jpg (236.8 KB, 23 views)
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: My first golf cart, The G9 Adventure

Nicely done Jackel! Good luck with it and have fun
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you took some Hiding-Lessons from my Dad!!!Good score,enjoy it!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ok I got her home and popped the hood.The plug was already out and hanging on the plug wire.So I took some Kroil oil and poured it down into the cylinder to let it work it's magic for awhile.
I couldn't find my big strap wrench so I ended up taking the clutch cover off so I could get to the crank bolt.Man what a pain to get those phillips screws out when you can't rotate the crank past the swing arm
I finally got them all out,and then found a cheapo strap wrench I had forgot about but tried it anyways.
I was able to get the engine to move a little bit each way eventually getting it to turn all the way over.
Now I was starting to get a little excited but the bad news is it turns over so hard.I actually have it kick over a spot like when an engine comes up past TDC on a compression stroke.BUT there Is NO plug in it.So what in the heck?
Must have some internal damage of sorts.
I forgot to mention but the oil looks real good in it,and it is full at the correct level.I didn't notice much of any metal in the oil when i had the stick in the sun.But it has been sitting for over a week so I guess it could have settled out.
So any ways I pulled the valve cover off and the valves actuate like normal.Nothing is broke or stuck.I was thinking maybe i had a stuck valve and the push rod was deflecting.
I pulled the head off to see what was hiding in there.To my surprise the cylinder is not really scored.It definatley has alot of miles on her.
I can see the piston rock in the bore due to being wore out.
I will have to pull the engine all the way out and see what is going on in the crank case when i get some time.
Sorry for the long post ,but want to share what I know so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03943.jpg (221.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03947.jpg (255.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03948.jpg (232.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03950.jpg (90.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

250.00 great find G9's are "solid cars", probabley best Yamaha ever built. Just ask Ron "TheNewGuy". As the car had had the govenor "bypast" (i'm not a fan of it), most likeley why the engine "grenaded", I would, "BEG" your wife to get a BigBlock kit from Tom @ CartPartsPlus. You could spend so much money rebuilding the stock engine and you'd just have a stock engine, you could also go "clone" engine. Read up in the "bigblock" section and look at your options. Heck you could put a motorcycle engine in it if your have fab skills Good luck on what ever you decide.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well fab skills are not a problem.I am a millwright by trade ,and have a decent fab shop at home.I can build just about anything I need.Wish I had my big Gisholt lathe running
I built my own Outdoor wood gasification boiler to heat my home and shop.
I don't have the money to go the BB route(I have 6 horses,2 kids,a wife,dog,etc..... ),but I am leaning on going the clone route.I am really liking the idea of picking up an HF 14hp Predator engine.Then getting the crank adapter from CPP to put the clutch on that motor.
I would love to get this thing running before 4th of july weekend so I could take it to the campgrounds.Not sure it will happen,but I can hope anyways.
I would like to get a 6" lift for it and some 22" tires at some point in the future.
I have considered just fabbing my own lift.I know I can do it,but it might be quicker to just pick one up.
Yeah I think a clone motor is in my future
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Is that a dead mouse in the third picture? If not, man, sure does look like it with its little feet hanging out!!

As far as the lift - I wouldn't try to fab a six inch lift. I've tried this, and the carts are just not stable enough to go this high. You end up with the wheels doing this: / \ when you try to back up, and the carts are very squirrly. Four inches I would say would be max on a home built lift. Go with a Jakes 6" a-arm, when your ready. You'll be glad you did, when you have cargo you love on your cart! My other suggestion is, when you got the money, purchase the lift and wheels/tires as a combo and save some dough!
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff4mason View Post
Is that a dead mouse in the third picture? If not, man, sure does look like it with its little feet hanging out!!

As far as the lift - I wouldn't try to fab a six inch lift. I've tried this, and the carts are just not stable enough to go this high. You end up with the wheels doing this: / \ when you try to back up, and the carts are very squirrly. Four inches I would say would be max on a home built lift. Go with a Jakes 6" a-arm, when your ready. You'll be glad you did, when you have cargo you love on your cart! My other suggestion is, when you got the money, purchase the lift and wheels/tires as a combo and save some dough!
YEAH it is a DEAD MOUSE!!!!
I took the cowling off around the cylinder jug and saw that.I thought I would wait and see who noticed it first.
I agree on buying the lift&wheel/tire combo saves alot of cash.I have also read were it is advisable to lower and move back the swing arm with the clone swap.So I figure if I am going to the trouble to do that I might as well do the whole thing.I haven't yet decided what I will do.First I need to get an engine and the necassary pieces,and then go from there.
Someone want to give me about $1500 they might have laying around so I can get this cart going
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackel440 View Post
I took the cowling off around the cylinder jug and saw that.I thought I would wait and see who noticed it first.
I agree on buying the lift&wheel/tire combo saves alot of cash.I have also read were it is advisable to lower and move back the swing arm with the clone swap.So I figure if I am going to the trouble to do that I might as well do the whole thing.I haven't yet decided what I will do.First I need to get an engine and the necassary pieces,and then go from there.
Someone want to give me about $1500 they might have laying around so I can get this cart going
Maybe the mouse had an estate
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackel440 View Post
I would be interested in buying your top if you ever decide to sell it.
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha