lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Ted1927
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 club car DS gas (unable to start)

The cart was running fine one day but the next day I was unable to get it started. I've checked the spark (there's fire but it's white, not blue), carb has been rebuilt there's gas in the tank. I've checked the wire but could not find anything obviously wrong. I've even removed the coil and had it checked but they told me it was fine. Anybody have any suggestions??
Ted1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Tyler14-88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1997 club car DS gas (unable to start)

When you stepped on the peddle did the engine turn over, or would it just do nothing?
Tyler14-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
corkscrew
Gone Wild

Take a spray bottle with gas in it and spray into carb while cranking. If still nothing and you have spark, check compression and valves.
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Ted1927
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler14-88 View Post
When you stepped on the peddle did the engine turn over, or would it just do nothing?
Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I'm a newbie and didn't know whether or not my query got on-line. Yes, the engine turns over when I step on the peddle. I also have spark (white not blue), solenoid checks out OK, and my ignition switch checks out also. Lastly I removed the coil and took it to a cart service center and the tech said if I had spark the coil was OK. Additionally, he said the 1997 coils had an external igniter (sp?) and told me where to look for it. I could not find it. But I did discover that the RP limiter had been disconnected (both black and brown wires had been cut). I did go up on the internet and found out that they make a coil with a built in igniter. A little pricey so before I buy one I want to know if this type of coil can be installed without doing any major modifications to the wiring. Any help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated...Ted1927
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Ted1927
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler14-88 View Post
corkscrew...thanks for the reply to my query. I've tried just about everything except for what you suggested. Since I posted I've taken the coil out to be tested (tech at cart repair center sez it checks out OK). I replied to Tyler14-88 and gave him a rundown of what I've done as far as trying to find out the problem, have you read my reply? Any help/suggestions you might add to your reply would be greatly appreciated...Ted1927
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
corkscrew
Gone Wild

I got a fe290 that starting knocking so I took it out of my cart. Has the new style coil (brand new 2 hrs.). Your cart I'm pretty sure has the new style coil. Could also try a new plug, maybe yours is a little weak (cheap fix if it works) With both wires off rev limiter that aint right. Hook the black wire (I think) back up. The other wire (brown) goes to ground. The only wire that needs to be disconnected to disable the rev limiter is the ground wire. Wrap it in tape so it does not hit anything. If this makes it run great, if not check your valves and compression. If your rev-limiter is not hooked up becarefull running it at high RPM. Theses engines are tough but not bullet proof. If you get it running without the rev-limit might look into a tach so it don't start knocking like my old one.lol As you may know it dont take much for a engine to run... fuel,spark and compression. If you have fuel and spark but compression aint right check your valves first. If the valves are right and still no compression then you most likely have piston problem and thats not good. Try these things and hope it helps, keep us up to date on progress and welcome to the site. There are tons of great people here to help you. Also if you do have the igniter it will be mounted behind your rev limiter, but that year cart I THINK had the coil with it built in
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Ted1927
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I've looked all around the rev limiter for the igniter but it's just not there. The coil I took out probably is the new style coil with the igniter built in which would explain why I can't find it. The tech that said the coil was OK merely looked at it and said ..."there's no way of testing these things. If you've got spark it means its OK". To be on the safe side I'm going to get a new coil and install it and go from there.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

In most cases on a 97, there won't be an ignitor under the rev limiter, it'll be built in the coil!

I'm pretty sure what corkscrew was saying, is to disconnect the ground wire from the rev limiter (#22) to see if it runs.
The ground wire is at #13, secured with the left mounting bolt of the rev limiter.

By disconnecting the ground for the limiter, and the engine runs, you have a bad rev limiter!
(It's a pretty easy test for a weak/no spark situation)

If it still won't run, then it just maybe your coil!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE290-350 Ignition components.jpg (15.1 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Ted1927
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply, suggestions and schematic. I'm inclined to think that the coil is the problem. Everything else that I've been able to check appears to be OK. So I ordered a new coil that should be by the 11th. I so have another golf cart (electric) but I prefer the old gas one. Hopefully, the new coil will do the trick...Ted1927
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

You didn't say if you tested the rev limiter ground disconnect idea?

It's a lot of work, but, o.k., give a new coil a shot!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car