lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Headlights and taillights - not working

I have a gas Club Car DS limo that I bought a few weeks ago. The headlights were not working and I figured I could just trace it and figure it out but unfortunately I've been running in circles and getting nowhere.

I believe I have 12v to each of the lights - the headlights and the taillights - but no lighting on any of them. With that said, I am a novice with electrical tracing. I used a digital meter and read at the switch, I even bypassed the switch by jumping it to see if they would light but they did not. I pulled the bulbs and they looked good, but just in case I replaced all of the bulbs and still no lights. I then put the old bulbs back in since they look fine.

Please help me troubleshoot this and figure out why I can't get the lights to work! This is about to drive me crazy...
Thank you in advance.
scb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Headlights and taillights - not working

First, I would get a 12v test light. If you're going to try and trace out a issue in a 12v system, you have to have one. You could either have a bad switch or a blown fuse if the cart has one. Using your meter, are you getting 12v coming into the switch?
krashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

What year and model is it?

If I remember correctly, some of the Villager 6's and 8's with factory lights had a separate fuse for the lights in the electrical components box.
(ECB= black box in the engine compartment, usually on the drivers side next to the battery)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply.
I have 12v coming to the switch and after it at each of the lighting connectors- as in 12v at each headlight and 12v to each taillight. That was using a meter.

If u have a meter why would I need a test light? As stated earlier, I'm pretty handy and mechanically inclined but am not a mechanic so I'm ready to learn!

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

You have 12V.... that's what I get for "speed reading"!
The only other thing it could be is a bad ground somewhere!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Are you probing both of the contacts on the sockets? Just asking because sometimes you could have a bad ground meaning you would have to place your probe on another metal surface which would tell you, you either have a bad contact, broke wire, or in your case, the main ground to the frame could be broke.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok. This is a DS that is stretched - with aluminum but it's still a 'conversion' as far as I can tell.
It has a small fuse panel in the box you reference but there is only one fuse in it - three empty slots - and that fuse looks good. It has 12v at the lights though anyway.

How can I test for grounds? Can I try jumping a new ground at each light to see if they light up that way? If so I guess I could always just run new grounds all the way around or would that not work?
thanks again.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

All of my grounds on my 07 are tied to a bolt on the frame just in front of the engine.
Krash... go ahead and take over, we're posting at almost the same time!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That is why I was asking how you were checking for 12v at the sockets, to determine if you have a ground issue. See, if you had a TEST LIGHT, you could clip the lead to 12v, and then touch your chassis with the probe :)

Run 1 end of the wire to a solid ground somewhere and the other end to the ground on one of the light sockets.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
All of my grounds on my 07 are tied to a bolt on the frame just in front of the engine.
Krash... go ahead and take over, we're posting at almost the same time!
You're good man. Sometimes, 2 heads are better than one

Tags
headlights, repair, trouble
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car