lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cart "revs" up and down...especially on downhills

My 1995 DS will "jerk" as the pedal is all the way down.......especially while going down hill. Sometimes within this pattern, it will backfire. I am not sure if it is due to the carb needing cleaned or something else. You can actually hear where it kinda cuts off for 1/2 second and then back up....and then cuts off again. (insert motion sickness joke here).

Is there a troubleshoot list someone can give me to try? I am leaning towards governor / throttle adjustment, but hate to mess with it until I see if it is something else. Also, the cart seems underpowered to me.

I have read so many nightmare stories about damage due to a bad governor adjustment and the motor blowing...I am hoping there is some room to adjust.

Thasnk you guys very much!!!
CCinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Cart "revs" up and down...especially on downhills

You have the gas pedal floored while going downhill? Sheesh.

Whenever I go down hills even with the gas moderately pushed, I can feel the motor lagging, so I let off. I have my governor disconnected, and I almost never floor my cart. I can get it up to 18-19mph easily with no stressing of the motor.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
You have the gas pedal floored while going downhill? Sheesh.

Whenever I go down hills even with the gas moderately pushed, I can feel the motor lagging, so I let off. I have my governor disconnected, and I almost never floor my cart. I can get it up to 18-19mph easily with no stressing of the motor.
Then there is something else off......I would guess it is less than 10 MPH and when I go downhill.....it never goes faster since it "brakes" itself.....and will even backfire sometimes. What am I missing? I see other carts in the neighborhood, especially electric doing the speed limit of 25MPH.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is it lifted?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Is it lifted?
no, just stock wheels and springs. I think the carb needs cleaned anyways... I took the fuel pump off and it was clean.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

my guess, you're hitting the rev limiter. governor zip tied or disabled? rev limiter kicks in around 3700-3900 rpms and will back fire when it goes on and back off
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The governor assembly / throttle has never been changed. I am in the midle of studying how to adjust the governor.....or whatever will help gain speed without wrecking the engine. I read the STICKY about it from NO NO, but I thought the springs needed adjusting, not the gas pedal rods?????? Should I work on the rods first and leave the throttle and gov alone?

THX!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm having the same issue with a 2000 model. Please post your solution if you solve the issue.
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
I'm having the same issue with a 2000 model. Please post your solution if you solve the issue.
I made sure the cable was tight inside the black electrical box....the throttle. Also, the butterfly was sticking a bit on the carb. Finally, I checked the gov. cables. One of those did the trick as it rides smooth as can be. I need more speed...at 14 MPH now.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the follow up. My problem was the breather tube on the carb. The tube going from the carb to the frame was stopped up. With all the dust around here, I suppose it just got stopped up.

Also tightened my throttle pedal linkage so that the cart would start almost as soon as the pedal was pushed, then tightened the black cable in the black box going to governor. Runs like a top and have extra speed. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that after sitting for a day or so and you go to start it, you can't push the accelerator all the way down. Gives too much fuel to the carb and won't crank. But once she gets warm, she's off to the races!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car