lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
bblover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 Marathon Starter / Gen Smoking

My project cart as finally running great. At the deer lease yesterday, the starter began dragging in "forward". After a while of driving I noticed a burning smell, and after some investigation I found the starter was smoking. It will start and run great in reverse but will not spin forward, it gets hot and smokes. I have had it on for a couple months and followed the wiring diagram. It worked fine until yesterday. Is it the starter / gen, or could the switch be causing a problem? The cart is a 2 cycle. Thanks in advance.

Russell
bblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
adamr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Marathon Starter / Gen Smoking

I have the same exact problem on my 89 GXT (turf vehicle). I am taking my starter/gen to my Brother-in-law (he rebuilds starters and alternators for a living). I will let you know if this solves the problem...
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

Ive had the same problem with one at my work(closed till spring now), but i just guessed i smoked a cable, i just replaced the brushes and everytime i let off its seemed like it would drag.
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
bblover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had it rebuilt and the tech said that the brushes and armature were cooked. Now it is starting to do it again after just about a hour of run time. I'm at a loss.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
adamr
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 91 Marathon Starter / Gen Smoking

I had mine rebuilt as well (it's great to have a relative in the business). Anywho... New belt, rebuilt starter/gen, clean cables, ready to go right? Not so easy. I have the same problem as before. It will run for a while, and then back to same old problem. I have found that if I pull the spark plug and crank it over for a few seconds then put the plug back in it will run like a champ - for a while. After a short time it's back to the same problem. I don't know if I have a problem with the reed valve or if the muffler may be clogged (two stroke goo). Any suggestions would be great. I'll report back regardless to let you know where I'm at.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i don,t know about E-Z go but C.C. has 2 different sets of brushes for some starters and one set won,t work in the starter if it calls for the other set......these brushes are identical in every way including size but the color of them is different, i set is copper colored the other set like peuter colored..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
bblover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The way the wiring diagram looks, the power never stops flowing through the armature. I am wondering if that is correct. If so, what could be causing the starter to use brushes so fast if it is designed to operate in that manner? I am thinking that the voltage regulator may have something to do with it. Can someone answer, what part the regulator plays in the charging circuit?

Russ
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

The regulator regulates the start/gen so it doesn't charge at to high of a voltage. the start/gen will put out better than 16v but the system needs to stay around 14v so the regulator switches it on an off real fast (hundreds of times a second) depending on battery needs, to keep it at a reasonable voltage. or at least thats how i understand it. if you have the start/gen wired wrong it's possible to overcharge the system with 16+volts and still have it work almost normal. this should fry the battery and start/gen soon enough though. If the v/r goes bad the charging should stop working altogether.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
bblover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the information about the regulator. This post kinda merged with another one I had started earlier. I will try to check the voltage at the battery tomorrow with the engine running. Does a high voltage indicate a bad regulator or a defective starter/gen?

Russ

Tags
generator, marathon, starter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO