lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
carguybill
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Installing a Jakes 3” rear lift on 97 Carryall II– what I learned

I installed the rear lift on my ’97 Carryall II because I needed rear tires with a more aggressive tread to keep from losing traction on slippery surfaces and the tires I wanted required a moderate lift.

I wanted to raise only the rear because I would have difficulty getting in and out of a fully lifted cart.

The best thing I learned is that the aggressive tread tires are keeping me from loosing traction and the rear only lift does not hinder my entry issues. The project is a success.

Regarding the rear lift installation itself I learned:
• The Jakes rear only lift kit is expertly designed, well constructed, and very reasonably priced.
• The Jakes rear only kit came with no installation instructions but their web site has excellent install videos.
• It is necessary to follow the installation video procedures exactly as presented. Watch it a number of times to be sure you fully understand the recommended procedure.
• On my Carryall II I had to remove the sway bar before I did anything else. It doesn’t look like I will be able to replace it after the lift but I’ll try later.
• The most difficult part of the install was, for me, removing the bolts at each end of the springs. I used the air hammer procedure suggested by pachanga90 which worked well but it might have been quicker to just grab the Saws All and just cut the bolts.
• All new hardware including grommets for the springs is inexpensive and readily available from your local Club Car dealer.
• I purchased a 3” lift kit but the actual lift was a bit over 4”. I assume the difference is because my Carryall II had 4 or 5 leaf springs not the single leaf spring shown in the video.
• My rear shocks were shot and the original shocks have been replaced by Club Car with a part that appears to be much lighter duty. I installed the replacements and will have to see if this is an issue.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Installing a Jakes 3” rear lift on 97 Carryall II– what I learned

I wish Jake's made a 4" lift. Tires rub on a hard turn with 22's
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
carguybill
Getting Wild

Club Car

TPG, If you only rub in the rear only I'd suggest that you give Jakes a call and talk with their tech folks, I'd be surprised if they couldn't come up with a solution to raising the rear of your cart another inch.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Front hits the frame on hard turns. I made a 1" spacer to solve the problem.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car