lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 93 Club Car VGlide Resistor Coil Question

What you described is the classic symptom of a "welded" solenoid, the pits that form on the contacts surface will not allow the contacts to separate if high current is flowing thru them, the arc that forms when the contacts try to separate will "weld" the contact pits together temporarily.

Removing all power from the contacts will often release them. This is more common in DC current as there is no 0v crossing to facilitate the release of the contacts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Solenoid definitely welded. Removed from cart and had continuity between two large posts. Got a new one.

Also purchased on a new wiper contact. But upon removal of the v-glide, I found that the connection for the white wire at the base of the v-glide (that comes from the solenoid to vglide then to coil) was melted and the plastic is broken. The wire ends were almost welded together to the bolt. Was a pain to get the nut off!

Spoke to customer and they have agreed that purchasing a new vglide is the best route. Just don't know how much they cost! Got to check into that.

Hopefully, this will this old cart back up and running!

I rely on this site soooooo much! There is more knowledge on this site and you folks are a world of help!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
...snip

Hopefully, this will this old cart back up and running!

I rely on this site soooooo much! There is more knowledge on this site and you folks are a world of help!
I decided to do this every time these guys make me look good:

Dear beau,

We just wanted to let you know that your donation has been received.

Donation date: 03-12-14, 10:56
Donation amount: USD 20
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

She's running! Replaced solenoid and v-glide running like a charm.

The only thing I noticed was that when the customer was driving it tonight, we smelled an electrical fire smell. I lifted the seat and the resistor coil was glowing red! I assume this is normal???? Or, could it have been burning off some overspray that had gotten on the coil from someone recently painting it????
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
She's running! Replaced solenoid and v-glide running like a charm.

The only thing I noticed was that when the customer was driving it tonight, we smelled an electrical fire smell. I lifted the seat and the resistor coil was glowing red! I assume this is normal???? Or, could it have been burning off some overspray that had gotten on the coil from someone recently painting it????
The resistor coils get REALLY hot - no touchy. Driving for extended periods of time at part throttle, or going uphill at part throttle causes this. General V-glide rule of thumb: never go uphill at less than full throttle and avoid long runs at part throttle. This is a drive system that is happiest at full throttle, because the resistors are out of the loop at full throttle.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you adjust the pedal/vglide linkage so the vglide arm is fully over the last pad with pedal all the way down?

Otherwise the vglide will melt soon.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did not adjust it. I looked to make sure that when the pedal is pressed, it went all the way to the last pad. Will having it on 2 pads at one time cause it to glow red?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No, but virtually all of the current will flow through the part over the highest pad, if you only have 1/4 over the last pad, it (the pad) will get hot real fast.

Which coil was glowing red?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

I don't know. It was the coil in the rear, not the v-glide.

After I saw it and it stopped glowing, I ran it up the road at full speed, and slowed down, and sped back up. Actually pulled the seat up while driving to watch. (real safe!) I never saw it glow red again.

It was dark, but if I had to guess, I'd say the middle to 3/4 toward passenger side on the resistor coil is where it was red.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car