lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Dukes001
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric cart as plane tug?

Hi
I just saw on tv someone using a golf cart to tug their plane. Can stock carts really do this? What are their capabilities when it comes to towing? Is it 4 250 pound guys going out cruising or more to even pull a stalled car like during drag racing. Does anybody know to true potiential of a cc ds 48v iq? Thanks
Dukes001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electric cart as plane tug?

In the manual, it states that a cart can tow another cart, so I always used that as my number...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes001 View Post
Hi
I just saw on tv someone using a golf cart to tug their plane. Can stock carts really do this? What are their capabilities when it comes to towing? Is it 4 250 pound guys going out cruising or more to even pull a stalled car like during drag racing. Does anybody know to true potiential of a cc ds 48v iq? Thanks
Stock or modified ?
We have many customers who have modified their carts to tow planes in and out of the hangar, boats out of the water, race cars off the track.... etc. Not really sure what the limit is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart train.jpg (46.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Dukes001
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replys.

If we are talking modify what types of modifications would I be looking at for towing vehicles to my garage? Mid size sedan.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the replys.

If we are talking modify what types of modifications would I be looking at for towing vehicles to my garage? Mid size sedan.

Thanks
On a flat hard surface the stock cart may do it. A controller, solenoid, and cable upgrade would make it produce more torque. Generally a 400a upgrade is recommended with the stock motor, and 500a with an aftermarket (more hp) motor.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
minytrker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Never towed a plane but use mine for towing race car (3200lb drag car) and it tows it like there nothing behind it. Only thing I have done is 0 gauge wires and speed code 4.
minytrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Dukes001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
Never towed a plane but use mine for towing race car (3200lb drag car) and it tows it like there nothing behind it. Only thing I have done is 0 gauge wires and speed code 4.
I've been wanting to put some think cables on my cart. I have done some research and others have said 1 gauge throughout. Can I replace more cables then just the ones that link the batteries and the two that go to the motor? Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the cables take part in delivery of battery amperage to the motor they should all be the same size. Most engineers agree that 2g is big enough for 5-700 amp controls.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

At my airport we have an old Melex cart with marine deep cell batteries 36 volt. They tow all small twin engine planes and single engine planes. We have a 4 wheel drive tractor to use on large twins. The only mods to the cart is a spindle hitch on front and hooks to carry the tow bar. The cables are 6 ga and crimped ends that never get service. It has been in use for over 10 years only thing they do is change the batteries when they get to where they will not charge.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
minytrker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I've been wanting to put some think cables on my cart. I have done some research and others have said 1 gauge throughout. Can I replace more cables then just the ones that link the batteries and the two that go to the motor? Thanks
I only have zero gauge because thats what I run in my race cars and had it laying around. If I had 1 or 2 gauge I would have used it instead. I dont think it would make a difference in my cart either way.
minytrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car