lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
JigginJim77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '06 TXT PDS No Go...

Hi all! I'll try not to be too long winded, but I usually can't help it!

I recently acquired my first cart, an'06 36v TXT PDS. Stock cart accept for 6" lift, 23" tires on 12" rims and 2x2 seating. Had problems from the very beginning. First day the batteries were very discharged. Had to use my Schumacher charger to bring them up till the Powerwise QE would charge. I charged 2 batteries at a time for 12 volt charger. Once charged, I was able to get around with some issues. 1) Had to flutter the pedal to get ti to go, it would shudder a bit till moving. 2) Cart would run normal, then slow down. If I stopped and restarted, it would go fine. Rode cart for about 20 minutes and didn't use it for a day. 3) Next use, cart went 50 yards and died. Pushed it back home, let it set for 10 minutes and went out again- cart made it 100 yards, then died. Farther push back this time.

So I started trouble shooting. First issue I came up with is my batteries aren't very strong. 3 year old Trojan T-105, likely not cared for well. Best pack voltage I can get is 37.7v after stabilizing. Put the cart in Diagnostic Mode, and got the dreaded faulty controller beep. Wasn't surprised. So I decided to upgrade at that time. Ordered from scottyb an Alltrax XCT400PDS and SW180 solenoid. Also got some 2ga cables. When pulling the environmental cover I found the small red wire at the large solenoid + terminal had melted somewhat but was still intact (pic included). Fixed that and went about installing the Alltrax. Install went fine with no issues. Flipped the Run/Tow to Run. Key on- Alltrax give me 4 green flashes, then steady green. So far so good. Toggle to forward, push the pedal, solenoid clicks, Cart doesn't go!!! No so good so far. No error flashes on controller or flagged in the Alltrax toolkit.

Time to trouble shoot. My pack voltage is only 37.7v (battery issue). With Run/Tow in Run, Key On, Neutral I get 37.7v at large Solenoid B+, 37.2 at large solenoid controller side. Small solenoid + (yellow wire) 37.7v pedal up or down. Small solenoid - (blue wire) 37.7v pedal up, decreases to 0v pedal down.
On to connector pins. With Key on, Neutral, R/T in Run, I get 37.7v at pins 1,4,5,9. When in Forward, pin 3 gets 37.7. When in Reverse, roll away alarms sounds and pin 2 gets 36.5v (lower than pack due to alarm?). C3 connector (Run/Tow) gets 37.7v when in Run.

On to ITS and Pedal box. Key On, Run/Tow on R, and Forward. Microswitch Pedal up- Red wire 37.7v, green wire 0v. Pedal down- red wire 37.7v, green wire 37.7v. Switch looks good. ITS Pedal up- white wire 7.12v, black wire .79v. Pedal down- wihite wire 5.04v, black wire 1.36v. Something doesn't look right there. I unplug the C4 and get positive continuity from the pin to the ITS spades for both white and black wires.

So where do I go from here? I'm including pics of the install if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Controller.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Controller !.jpg (94.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Connections 1.jpg (184.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Pack.jpg (104.4 KB, 0 views)
JigginJim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '06 TXT PDS No Go...

I couldn't be that long winded if I tried
Is there a condensed version somewhere >?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
JigginJim77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I couldn't be that long winded if I tried
Is there a condensed version somewhere >?
Its a character defect of mine :(

Condensed version is the controller seems to be working, solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed, but the cart doesn't go. Wheels turned about 3 times when I first installed the new controller but nothing now. 37.7v should move at least move the wheels when on jack stands right?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes. Is the pack staying at 37v when the carts is trying to go? Or is the pack dropping significantly?
You have the software hooked up - is the throttle going 0-100% in the monitor when you try to go?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Solenoid clicks when pedal is pushed, so connect your DVM between the B- and M- terminals on the XCT.

Push pedal just far enough to make solenoid click and you ought to read pack voltage (37.7V)

If you don't, check the A1 & A2 cable and armature continuity.

If you do get pack voltage, push pedal slowly to floor and voltage should smoothly decrease to 0V or close to it.

If it doesn't check the ITS voltage. Connect DVM between the black and white wires. Pedal up should be 10V and pedal down should be 6V. Also, LED ought to turn yellow with pedal on floor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I suspect bad batteries if 37.7 is the best it charges to. Also check cable to the motor if you hadn't already. Like Scotty said the voltage probably drops once the solenoid clicks.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
JigginJim77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the responses guys!

scottyb- Pack voltage stays at 37.7 when I try to "go".
I have the software installed but I won't be able to check the throttle in the monitor tab till tomorrow.

JohnnieB- Controller does flash yellow with the pedal to the floor. I'll do the other checks on the ITS voltage and A1, A2 cable and armature continuity tomorrow.

I'm in Florida, and Irma looks to be headed this way, so the testing may be delayed for a few days at best
Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use your operator's manual. blink codes are in the back of the book - see blinking yellow....
Old 09-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
JigginJim77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, early morning testing. Pack voltage at 37.6v

scottyb- Alltrax monitor tab shoes throttle operating from 0 -100% as pedal is depressed. Controller goes from solid green to flashing yellow- Throttle wide open but controller is in Current Limit, a normal display status per the manual.

JohnnieB- B- to M- gives 37.6v at solenoid click, only drops to 17.1v at full pedal. ITS black to white wire shows 6.78v drops to 4.01 at full pedal.

I'll check the connections at the motor. Power cables are new 2ga cables, but F1 and F2 are stock.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The throttle signal is not correct for the XCT controller. Go here for throttle testing procedure and results. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html

The yellow flashing is not a normal LED status at full throttle, it should be a solid orange (may look yellow)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO