lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Trueheart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new guy electric speed questions

I've got a club car 1987 and it is adequate for my needs. It's 36V, and I just replaced the batteries, so duration of run time is very good now. However, I was wondering if I replaced the electric motor, or had it rebuilt, would my speed increase? I guess what I'm really asking is if older electric motors get "tired" and what, if anything, can be done practically ($$$) to reinvigorate them? Thanks for any help. Steve
Trueheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
barcloverranch
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkillzone View Post
i been looking on here and cant seem to find the answer so, i recently bought a 1984 ezgo electric cart.. im basically using it for hunting.. i put 20" tires on it and painted it.

but i want some more speed.. how do i achieve that???
@teamkillzone:

I have an '86 Ez Go that I've lifted and put 22's on, and I had the same question about speed. I'm not going against the guys on here that already gave you advice, they know what they're talking about and they've really helped me out, but if you're like me then you won't want to spend the money converting it to a controller system. The answer I got from the guys on here was to replace all the wires with 4 ga wire (ALL the wires, not just the battery wires), upgrade to a beefed up FR switch, replace the wiper board and contacts, and go ahead and buy a new solenoid.

This all worked great for me, I couldn't be happier. I left the stock 2hp motor in it and now that I've done those upgrades I can out run any newer cart at the golf course. I mostly use my cart for driving around the ranch and it does great out there too. The upgrades above ended up costing me between $300-$400, not too bad at all. This thing actually has enough torque now that I can burn those 22" tires if I gun it from a sitting position.

As for draining the battery pack, I'm not sure. I lucked out and got a load of gel cell batteries that haven't died on me yet, knock on wood, and I drive this thing all over the hilly roads on this ranch. The best advice I can give is to try these things first and see what your cart gives you as far as results.

Good luck, Josh

Last edited by barcloverranch; 07-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Showing respect for those that know more about it than I do
barcloverranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good Advice Josh You should do all those things before any motor improvements. The motors do get less responsive as they wear. A good motor shop like PQ can rewind your old motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
teamkillzone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcloverranch View Post
@teamkillzone:

I have an '86 Ez Go that I've lifted and put 22's on, and I had the same question about speed. I'm not going against the guys on here that already gave you advice, they know what they're talking about and they've really helped me out, but if you're like me then you won't want to spend the money converting it to a controller system. The answer I got from the guys on here was to replace all the wires with 4 ga wire (ALL the wires, not just the battery wires), upgrade to a beefed up FR switch, replace the wiper board and contacts, and go ahead and buy a new solenoid.

This all worked great for me, I couldn't be happier. I left the stock 2hp motor in it and now that I've done those upgrades I can out run any newer cart at the golf course. I mostly use my cart for driving around the ranch and it does great out there too. The upgrades above ended up costing me between $300-$400, not too bad at all. This thing actually has enough torque now that I can burn those 22" tires if I gun it from a sitting position.

As for draining the battery pack, I'm not sure. I lucked out and got a load of gel cell batteries that haven't died on me yet, knock on wood, and I drive this thing all over the hilly roads on this ranch. The best advice I can give is to try these things first and see what your cart gives you as far as results.

Good luck, Josh
thanks for the advice.. im looking into buying 6 new batteries right now.. 122@75a batteries for 85 ea w/ no core charge.. brand new.. after that ill see how she runs.. i didnt like the run time with the 3 12v batteries.. lol
teamkillzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

T105 = 220ah
CR225 = 225ah
These are the best golf cart 6v
Less amp hour capacity will effect performance and run time.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
teamkillzone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
T105 = 220ah
CR225 = 225ah
These are the best golf cart 6v
Less amp hour capacity will effect performance and run time.
ya i was doing some research.. the t-105 batteries are 447 Min @25Amps, 115 Min @75Amps,

NAPA 8144 (mfg. by Exide - equivilalent to Exide 3600)
390 Min @25Amps, 110 Min @75Amps

the batteries im looking at are 122 min @ 75 amps so they are pretty comparitive to the trjan t-105's i think.. actually better in my opinion as far as specs go..
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkillzone View Post
ya i was doing some research.. the t-105 batteries are 447 Min @25Amps, 115 Min @75Amps,

NAPA 8144 (mfg. by Exide - equivilalent to Exide 3600)
390 Min @25Amps, 110 Min @75Amps

the batteries im looking at are 122 min @ 75 amps so they are pretty comparitive to the trjan t-105's i think.. actually better in my opinion as far as specs go..
Another good comparison is weight. 64 pounds is what you want to see, not 62 or? Less weight is less plates per cell = less storage capacity.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
teamkillzone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Another good comparison is weight. 64 pounds is what you want to see, not 62 or? Less weight is less plates per cell = less storage capacity.
thanks ill keep that in mind.. i think my commercial sales guy said they were 66 ea.. i could be wrong.. ill have the specs real soon..
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
teamkillzone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok got the batteries today..
474 min @ 25 a & 122 min @ 75 a and 100 reserve minutes.. sounds pretty good.. im getting the wiring all done tonight and ill keep you guys posted on how they do..

by the way, regular price on these batteries is about 120.00 ea.. plus core.. i have a business acount so i got em for 85 ea
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
teamkillzone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok guys, just got the batteries all hooked up and tookm the buggy for a ride.. runs real nice.. volt guage didnt drop below 34v and climbed hills pretty decent.. still slow but what do i expect for a 84 ezgo..

now i gota figure out the charging stuff.. i did some research and found that an ezgo charger charges @ 20 amps... what else can i use to charge the batteries up.. 550 for batteries, i cant buy a charger right now
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO