lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help for non-mechanics - digital charge meter

I have a couple more questions.
I don't think I could get my fingers through that little key hole to manipulate those screws behind the analog meter. Also....how do I get the key receptacle out.......does the little round base plate around it unscrew? I'll have to unwire that too, right? Is there any need to disconnect the batteries to do this? Will there be any slack in those wires to work with? I would hate for the wires to fall into a place I couldn't get to.
As you can see, I know nothing about this stuff! So explain things to me accordingly. :)
Thanks!
(I haven't ordered one of these yet. I want to make sure I can do it first.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

the rectangular key plate has two rivets at the bottom. either drill these out, or on some plastic ones you can just push out the pin in the center. if you get the key plate from scotty that has the cut out for the volt meter, it comes with new rivets. there generally enough slack in the wires to pull it out to work on it.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks madoc!
One more question.......how do I get the key assembly out? I'm thinking the base ring on it might screw loose. Doesn't seem to want to budge, but I probably need a wrench. Just didn't want to apply too much force to it, until I know its supposed to loosen.
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The key switch has a nut on each side the one you see on the dash is the round collar around the key hole and on the back side it is a large nut ... Pliers will suffice on either end.

It maybe time for you to invest in a tool kit and a pr of medium sized channel locks
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty,
Oh, we have plenty of great tools. We just don't know what to do with them. Perhaps we were hoping our over-abundance of tools would make up for our lack of knowing what to do with them!
I suppose it would make much more sense to pull that faceplate out first, right? (before trying to loosen the key thing).
It has those 2 rivets at the bottom. They look a little roughed up. How do I get those out if a screwdriver doesn't work?
Also.....when doing this, do I need to disconnect things from the batteries so we don't get shocked?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #26
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

for safty's sake, unhook one battery cable. as i said, you either have plastic or metall rivets holding the plate. you can easily drill either out with about a 3/16 drill, or sometimes on the plastic ones just push in the center to unlock it. good luck.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Would I unhook the cable to the positive on the first battery in the front on the passenger side?
Thanks for your help Jim!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #28
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Point of advice:

Whenever you are working with anything electrical, unhook one of the battery cables like was previously mentioned. Nothing will get your attention quicker than sparks flying or your blood boiling than realizing you just fried an expensive part because you didn't take the time to unhook the cable.

Take your time, work slowly, and either take pictures or notes on where everything came off and goes back and you'll do just fine.

Printing out the pages on here explaing what you're wanting to do so you can carry it over to the cart and read when you have a question about it helps. I do that quite often!

Trust me, if I can do it, you can too! Before you know it, you're going to be diving into a complete custom build without even giving it a second thought.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scott,
I know this stuff comes second nature to most of you. All I can say is teach your daughters this stuff too, not just your sons!
I know the questions I ask must seem moronic to you guys, but I'm starting at just about zero knowledge about this stuff. We bought this cart because we have a large property and I have bad knees. But I still want to be able to take care of it myself, when the issues are do-able.
Does it matter which battery I unplug?? Does it matter if its a positive or negative?
I'm not sure some of these extremely simple questions are answered anywhere on this forum. Most people who come here already have a pretty good understanding of electricity and mechanics. But until I learn more, I'm just going to have to ask simple questions! Thanks for your patience!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I doesn't matter which one you disconnect because an electric cart has no frame ground, everything is a 2 wire system .... unlike any gas driven vehicle.

I have been trying to teach this stuff to my wife without much luck... you have to want to learn something first. Today she learned there is a little picture book that comes with the car and it shows where to find a fuse and how to replace it in 10 minutes or less, instead of driving 400 miles without air conditioning
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO