lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Readings - Good or Bad

I had an earlier post that I had my stereo and lights running off 2 of the batteries in the pack and after several nights the cart started running out of juice so I am going to install a separate 12V marnine battery to run my accessories. I was worried I may have damaged some or all of my battery pack. I tested the battery pack and:

Here are my results. First, I made sure I was pulling readings from each battery separately so I would remove the postive and negative from each one, test and re-attach cables and move my way through the batteries. The batteries sat about 12-18 hours(probably on the higher end) from fully charged state to when I did the test.

Standing on the passenger side and starting with the battery closest to the cowl here were my readings:

Driver Side
6.45/6.45(these are the 2 batteries the stereo and lights were hooked up to)
6.52/6.51
6.50/6.53
Passenger Side

I drove the cart around for about 8 minutes and up some nice hills in the neigborhood and re-tested.

Driver Side
6.36/6.35
6.51/6.49
6.49/6.49
Passenger Side

Any thoughts on the above. I did notice the cable from the solenoid to the first battery on the passenger side was pretty hot after driving. Normal?

Just picked up a marine battery to make the conversion but before doing anything I want to make sure the battery pack is good to go. Tks
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Readings - Good or Bad

You might try using your 12v charger to bring those 2 batteries up higher than hte rest of the pack and then see if they don't settle closer to the rest.

You do not need to disconnect cable when reading individual battery voltage or when charging 1 or 2 in the pack, the charge and test leads only see what is in between the 2 connections
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You might try using your 12v charger to bring those 2 batteries up higher than hte rest of the pack and then see if they don't settle closer to the rest.

You do not need to disconnect cable when reading individual battery voltage or when charging 1 or 2 in the pack, the charge and test leads only see what is in between the 2 connections
So I can hook the charger up to the two lowest batteries one at a time and bring them to full charge without disconnecting any cables?

From these readings does it appear the battery pack is working well? tks
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I posted "You do not need to disconnect cables when reading individual battery voltage or when charging 1 or 2 in the pack, the charge and test leads only see what is in between the 2 connections." what I am trying to say there is you don not need to disconnect any cables to get individual battery readings. Try it your self, write the readings down. Now connect your 6v charger to one battery in the middle of the pack, turn on the charger and recheck the readings. You will find that the charger is only charging the battery it is connected to & not the rest of the batteries.
This same method can be used with a 12v charger connected to 2 6v batteries in series. Use you meter to find that 2 6v batteries connected in series add up to 12v. This is where you connect the 12v charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I posted "You do not need to disconnect cables when reading individual battery voltage or when charging 1 or 2 in the pack, the charge and test leads only see what is in between the 2 connections." what I am trying to say there is you don not need to disconnect any cables to get individual battery readings. Try it your self, write the readings down. Now connect your 6v charger to one battery in the middle of the pack, turn on the charger and recheck the readings. You will find that the charger is only charging the battery it is connected to & not the rest of the batteries.
This same method can be used with a 12v charger connected to 2 6v batteries in series. Use you meter to find that 2 6v batteries connected in series add up to 12v. This is where you connect the 12v charger.
Tks. I will just one at a time on 6v setting since I only have 2 that were lower.

I just don't know enough about batteries and states of charge to know if my readings after full charge and then after driving it for a short period of time indicate any issues? tks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO