lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
DraginRat
Not Yet Wild

Default one step at a time.

OK, I am guessing I just ain't smarter than a 3rd grader, so will need to do this one step at a time.

First question. 1987 EZGO resistor electric three wheeler. Where do the two wires from the key switch go?

I will start a new thread when I have mastered the key switch.

Ken Gasbarri
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: one step at a time.

IF and only IF your cart matches the diagram you posted in your other thread on this subject: (Which I've posted here for reference)

One wire goes to the terminal on the F/R switch that has a heavy cable from S1 on the motor attached.
(Note: Heavy cable might be labeled F1 since F and S stand for Field winding or Stator winding, which are interchangeable terms)

The other wires goes to the "C" terminal on MS-1, which is mounted on F/R assembly.
(Note: The "C" terminals of MS-1 and MS-2 are jumpered together and the wire from keyswitch might be physically attached to either one.)

On the other hand, if your cart doesn't match the attached diagram, the keyswitch wires will be attached elsewhere.

Does your cart match the attached diagram???????????????????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo1rt4.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
DraginRat
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB;

I ain't sure, but I don't think so. One thing, the micro switch on the speed control does not have both a NO and a NC post. I tried following this diagram, but it just did not work.

I am thinking this is a 1987 model from the tag. It reads "H1987", so if my guess is right, it was built Feb. 19, 1987.

I found another diagram elsewhere on the internet, and at least wiring that way the cart will run. Problem is, it runs with or without the key being in the on position. Also, gets very hot when running. Not quite comfortable with all that, but I think I am going in the right direction.

I am looking at still another diagram that has the two wires going to the common of MS1 and MS2, and the other to a small terminal of the solenoid. And, this is the only one that has the wire colors matching what is on the switch.

Anyway, I've got a few days before race day, so I am gonna keep trying. I paid $150.00 for the cart, plus another $160.00 for two new batteries, add another $50.00 for a new microswitch and a charger connector, so I have less that $400.00 invested so far. Actually, more than I wanted but Peg is getting a bit old, and starting to whine about pushing the race car, so I have to do something or she will start beating me again.

Thanks for your help. I will probably need more, so may be coming back and begging for help.

Ken Gasbarri
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If I remember correctly the MS on a 1987 are not jumpered together as they were in later years.
The forward MS is actuated (closed) in F&R, it is only open in the neutral position.
Power to the key switch can come from the battery pack main +.
There is more than one way to skin this cat, and I have seen all nature of combinations over the years. Sometimes you just have to apply theory rather than diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor & Diode instruction01.jpg (190.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The NO contacts on the microswitch on the accelerator assembly is for the reverse beeper. (It shuts it off when pedal is pushed)

As for wire colors in a 25 year old cart matching any wiring diagram, since a bad wire is likely to be replaced with whatever color wire is handy, it is iffy at best.

Like Scotty said, there is more than one way to skin this cat.

The solenoid activation circuit is basically several lengths of wire connecting two microswitches, a keyswitch and the solenoid coil in series between B+ and B-.
The order they are in doesn't matter much since it is a series circuit.

The purpose of the keyswitch is to keep people from accidentally moving cart. The fact it has a key is incidental.
I believe some of the older carts just had a on/off switch rather than one that needed a key.

The microswitch on the F/R assemble is to protect the F/R contacts.
IE: The solenoid is open unless F/R is in either F or R position, so you cannot switch between contacts when they are live.

The microswitch on the accelerator assemble is the last step in making the cart move.
If the Key is on and the F/R is in either F or R, pushing the pedal closes the solenoid, which attaches battery to motor.

Hope this helps and good luck at the races!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Shonuff
Not Yet Wild

looking for wiring diagram for 2001 ezgo model b401
Shonuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

According to the serial number, that is a 2001 TXT with Lights.
It has a series wound motor, so the shorthand description would be: "2001 TXT Series"

You can download the the complete Owner, Service and Parts manuals from the Stickies at the top of this forum.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

They are the three .pdf files.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO