lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default Help please... hub? bearing?

sorry for posting about this again..I am stuck and don't know what I am looking for. Been hearing some squeaking in the rear when we drive mellow and noticed that when I rolled the tires back and forth with my hands there was a clunky feel on both sides.

2000 PDS stock

Took of the the hubs on both rear wheels.

1.The Axle has no up and down play and seems to spinning normal with out resistance and metal sounds

2. The axle has a little bit of back and forth play

3. the axle spines on both sides seem normal

4. I put the rear drivers side hub on and move it back and forth no clunk feel/sound

5. I mount the passenger side hub and the clunk feel sound is back

6. The Hubs splines looked like there was a little wear maybe more so on the passenger side..a couple places were worn down a bit... But I do not know exactly how much wear is bad or could cause problems other then if they were just plain stripped. Which they are not. ( I looked for pics of a bad hub with no luck).

The car still drives and there is no super loud clunk but it is there and I believe getting worse. I hope its hubs as I was planning on getting Scotts pinch hubs anyways..but i am concered that it maybe something deeper inside.

I tried to take the snap ring off to get a better look at things but was unable to with my needle nose. So I will pick up a pair of snap ring pliers or barrow'em so that I can check the bearings?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
johnny

Last edited by lawnripper; 08-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

Default Re: Help please... hub? bearing?

Just a quick thought prior to you getting too far along... it is not the rubber bushings in the rear springs? If these are worn, broken, or gone you will have this problem.
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Hi Jason, the bushings look like they have been replaced a year or so ago.. It really feels like something with the axle, hub, input shaft, bearing.. something along that line.. Also The rear passenger side thrust washer and axle bolt were loose.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default hub? bearing? input shaft?

I notice that when i roll it back and forth and put my hand ontop of the motor I can feel the clunk, something with alot of play? Could a hub going bad clunk and be felt on top of the motor? Any body have some input please.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That would seem to indicate a worn input shaft to me. Can't tell you for sure, as I have never replaced mine.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your rear end is 12 years old. I recently replaced all bearings and seals in my rear end and it made it a little quieter. There's a bit of controversy about which oil to use, but I used a 90 weight gear oil. Mine's a '98, so it had a few more miles than yours. Also replaced the bearing in the motor, and checked the brushes while I had it open.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys... if it is the input shaft.. what happens if I just keep going till just wears out? Will I mess something else up and end up with a more expensive fix?

Same question but if it is on the axle, bearing? I f I just let go till it brakes will I be making thing way worse?

Is there a sponsor here that has the whole bearing/seal replacement kit for this cart?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

2000 cart would be ready for axle bearings if they haven't been done. Don't let these go until they break, it can be dangerous as you can loose an axle with a wheel on it while driving. If you suspect the axle bearing replace both sides (and seals). and go from there. If you can wait until later in the day when I return I will price them out to you, just shoot me a PM or email scottyb@cartsunlimited.net otherwise several sponsors carry these things.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty, I think I can wait.. We drive super mellow and now with this going on we stay close to home. I live Costa Rica and have to organize ordering parts with friends that are heading down this way.

Do I need special tools to take off and put on any of the bearings or seals?

Scotty, if it is a input shaft and I waited until it just stripped would I be damaging something else or making matters worse?

Also by my description in your opinion could it be a bad hub?
I plan on replacing them with your pinch hubs as soon as I can.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Scotty just pm'ed ya.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO