lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Here's a new one!

Went to the local store on my cart and put on the parking brake and cart is rolling! Never had this happen before so when I got home I jacked her up pulled the wheels and drums and this is what I found!

Well, this is a new one on me!!! Both sides! Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Anyway I ordered new shoes on E-Bay from " gandegolfcartparts.com ", $47.95 with free shipping. They came in two days! Ok, now on to the wheel cylinders. EZGO calls them a " torque spider " ( go figure ). The kits were outrageous prices! I dug around and came across someone who had used automotive kits, so I decided to try this. 1994 Suzuki Samurai rear kits fit " almost perfect! ". The inner cups fit perfect. The outer seals aren't a perfect fit, but they fit well enough to seal. All the outers are for is to keep out dirt and water. They aren't the pressure seals. Difference of cost is like night and day! The automotive kits were $5.60 from Napa. All the EZGO kits I found were $9.00 for one cup! That's right! One cup. Well anyway, she's all back together with great brakes now!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Here's a new one!

I have seen the material separate like that from the shoes on a car but not a golf cart, but the environments are similar. a few thousand heat cycles and pressure weaken the rivets and they start breaking. it happens. glad you got a pretty easy fix and you werent going down hill at a high rate of speed when you discovered the brakes were that way.!!
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To me it looks like the lining should have had rivets ( there are holes in the shoes for them ), but the linings were glued on. The new ones I bought are glued also, but there are no holes in the shoes! God knows what the ones I took off had been through! Nothing looked overheated. What's weird is my brakes still worked, just the parking brake wouldn't hold! To be honest, I usually don't have to use my brakes and when I do it's very lightly. I'm glad I didn't have to make a panic stop the way they were!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Reading this thread made some of the few brain cells I have left wave a red flag.

ASBESTOS

Older (pre-1990's in cars) brake shoes and pads and clutch friction plates were loaded with asbestos, but I don't know what the story is on golf cart brakes.

What I do know is that I'll be wearing a dust respirator or mask when I work on my cart brakes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I've seen this more than once on carts and cars.Alot of times,its' when something sits for a long time then gets used alot.The bonding dries out,moisture gets in between the lining and the shoe and begins to separate them with corrosion.Around here you should see truck-frames on Heavy-Trucks with double-frames,They will be spread 1/2" or more from the expansion!We get alot of Leaf-Springs from Fire-Depts. that wash them,then park them inside(Hot/cold cycles),They are spread out like a fan!!The trick for the Asbestos is to wash it down with Brake-Clean.When its' wet,it doesn't blow around.The amount of Asbestos in brakes and clutches,even a car or truck won't hurt you unless you did it all day every day.Alot of the Asbestos-Phobia is a crock,My Dad used to wrap steam-pipes with it.They would mix Asbestos-Powder into a paste By Hand!Then wrap the pipes and Never had any sort of mask,respirator,or even gloves.He did this back in the late-60s',early 70s'.Hes' 68 now,and nothing wrong,His buddy did it with him is fine as well.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

wow them cart brakes arent cheap sm..thats like 3 pair for a ole chevy lol..i have not had brakes since i got the cart,but fixed them last week and it is nice to have brakes now

i wrapped asbestes around wood stove pipes for a couple yrs"30 yrs ago",,a few times at lunch break i would hold a lighter to it thinking how cool it was since it wouldnt burn..no problems as of yet here either
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree that a lot of the asbestos, lead, mercury, global warming and a bunch of other things are crocks, but I did have a couple friends with no known association with asbestos except working on car brakes and clutches, die from mesothelioma, so I'll exercise due care and caution.

On the other hand, I've handled a over a ton of lead while reloading and firing ammo over the last fifty years and my BLL (Blood Lead Level) is consistently below 1 µg/dL while the average for adults is 3 µg/dL.

------------
Hosing down the brake dust with brake cleaner sounds like a good idea.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

all them lead balls have kept you alive and well

everyone sign those petitions today or asap,,our gun ownership could,and will never be the same if we dont stand together
coming soon to a state near you
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

All that stuff you hear about how dangerous Mercury is...Guess What the main thing inside a CFL-Bulb is!!!Mercury!!!Thats why they want them recycled and not thrown in the trash!!!They want you to get rid of your Mercury Thermostat for your Furnace,because its' dangerous,But I think I've seen a handful broken in my entire life.(My Dad does HVAC,so I've been around it forever),How many lite-bulbs get broken regularly?Hows' that for BS!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

twas a kid and broke a old thermostat and poured it on the floor and thought it was kinda cool but didnt no any better at the time..
light bulbs dont last like they used to for sure..i have a few old bulbs from the 30,s or 40,s prob and they are cool to see when lit up..only turn them on to show people now and then,im afraid they would take a lot of juice to run them as the wire inside is more like a wire..
ive had 2 of them new bulbs burst some white powder all in the amp cover before and its nasty..hope i still live another 20 yrs or so
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO