lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default throttle problem?

I just my cart back together today and I backed out of my garage ok, but when I put it in forward nothing happened. When I turn the key on I hear the solenoid click so when I looked at my alltrax dcx 400 controller I saw 4 green flashes and then 3 red ones. According to the manual it indicates that the throttle did not return to zero. I did removed the throttle pedal before this all happened to install new flooring but it seems to act freely. Is the accellerator what there talking about or do they mean something else?Am, I barking up the wrong tree?
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: throttle problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
I just my cart back together today and I backed out of my garage ok, but when I put it in forward nothing happened. When I turn the key on I hear the solenoid click so when I looked at my alltrax dcx 400 controller I saw 4 green flashes and then 3 red ones. According to the manual it indicates that the throttle did not return to zero. I did removed the throttle pedal before this all happened to install new flooring but it seems to act freely. Is the accellerator what there talking about or do they mean something else?Am, I barking up the wrong tree?
I don't have my DCX400 installed yet, so I'm not sure if the solenoid should energize and stay energized when the key is turned on.

Setting that aside, there are two ways the the DCX controller would know the pedal was up.
1. Lack of Battery pack voltage on Pin-5
2. The voltage between Pins 1 & 2 did not return to 10V

#1 Could be caused by the microswitch in the pedal box staying closed. (Bad or maladjusted)
#2 Could be caused by the plunger being inserted in the ITS coil when pedal is up. (Maladjusted)

If you have a PDS cart, the problem could also be in the wiring of the PDS to DCX adapter.

---------

Try this:
Shut the cart completely down (Key OFF, F/R in neutral, Run/tow in Tow)
Fire it back up in Forward.
Drive forward a few feet or yards and stop.
Without changing anything, press pedal again.
Does cart go forward again, or does it fail?
If it fails, turn Key OFF, wait a few seconds and turn Key back ON.
Then press pedal again. Cart should go forward.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DO you know if the controller braking is set all the way down to zero?

Does the cart go forward at all?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
devybob
Gone Wild

I tried what jonnieB said but the cart did run at all. No forward or reverse. Scotty, I have no idea about controller braking but the cart ran fine before I changed the dash and installed a new mat that required me to R&R the accelerator pedal to fit the new floor mat.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
devybob
Gone Wild

OK I kept playing with the switches(key switch, tow switch) turning them off and on forward and reverse and the light on the controller stayed green and the cart went forward then I tried reverse and forward again and nothing. The three red lights came back on the controller. Tried playing around again with no luck. Any ideas where to go from here?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check to see if the voltage on Pin-5 drops to Zero when the pedal is up.
That is controlled by the microswitch in the pedal box.

Check to see if the voltage between pins 1 & 2 goes back to 10V when pedal is up.
That is controller by the ITS sensor.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
devybob
Gone Wild

Now I will show you how bad I am with electrical. To check #5 pin I hooked my positive lead from my DVM to #5 and the black lead to neg ground. With the pedal up or down,key on,in forward, I got no reading at all. To check for 10 volts between #1 and#2 pin I have no clue how to do it. I don't want to hook it up wrong and cook my controller again.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All the plugs have to be plugged in.

There should be some vertical slits exposing the back side of the spring contacts in the plastic under where the wires come in.
#1 Pin is closest to the B- terminal and # 10 is closest to the B+ terminal. The #8 terminal should have a plastic spacer in it.

For connecting test probes in tight place like this, I use short pieces if small diameter insulated solid copper wire (IE: 28ga or so).
Strip a half inch or so of the insulation back on both ends. Take the plug off, wrap the exposed copper around the pin of interest, clips off any loose ends that might touch and adjacent pin and reinstall plug. Then you can attach test probes to other end of the small wires.

Be sure to put Run/Tow into Tow and It might be a good Idea to disconnect one of the main battery cables.
If you go with adding the extender wires, I put one on Pin 1,2, 5,6 & 7 at the same time, those being the pins the voltage needs to be checked on.

As for how to measure the voltage between pins 1 & 2: Connect one test probe to pin-1 and the other to pin-2. It does matter with is were, the meter will show a positive voltage one way and a negative voltage the other.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
devybob
Gone Wild

Johnnieb, after I install the wires should I take the readings with the key switch on and in forward?
Also when I take the voltage on pin 5 should I take it with the pedal in up and down positions with the dvm positive on the pin and the negative wire to a battery ground
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Key ON and Forward, just like you would drive the cart.

Unless otherwise specified, all voltage readings are taken with the negative test lead attached to the main negative terminal on the battery pack.
(Some people refer to that as ground, but I try not to.)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO