lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ go not charging over 5 amps

I have a problem with my 84 EZ go. I have had this for 3 years now and haven't drove it now for one year. I brought it out to charge the batteries back up so I can drive it and the charger will not charge over 5 amps. I changed both of the fuses to try to fix this because this is what I have done before. Good fuses, but still not charging. There is two of my batteries that a port on the battery will not hold water since the case on the side of the battery is cracked. I have also read that a bad diode in the charger will cause it not to charge over 5 amps. So I either have a charger problem or a battery problem or both. Let me know of there is anything I can check or do and also let me know where I can find a diode for the EZ GO Textron, thanks.
Winston Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ go not charging over 5 amps

You for sure have a battery problem if you have a cells that are cracked open and dry. Also they are probably all bad if they have been sitting for a year without being charged. Looks like you need to buy some batteries. It the meantime I would find another cart with good batteries to test the charger on.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

I have a brother in law two houses down that has a golf cart but has the new style charger so that's not going to work. I have the crows foot style. And wow, buying all new batteries, that's like $800
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm about 99.9% sure that the charger is fine and the problem and solely the batteries. Really all of the batteries should be replaced, if not the older batteries will bring the newer batteries down to their level in no time. The other option is to replace the bad ones with used, but good batteries. You can start by counting out the batteries with cracked cases, they will not be salvageable. As far as the rest you can try to find a 6 volt charger and charge each battery individually, or a 12 volt charger and charge them 2 at a time. But if they have been sitting off the charger for a year or more, they may all be bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

That's what I have been doing all day is charging them two at a time with a 12 volt charger. After charging them all to what my charger said 65% for all the batteries, I turn on the cart, put it into drive and reverse, and all I hear is clicking noise from that box where all those wires are plugged into and where the linkage for the pedal goes to, same box, no idea what it's called.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

Also I might add that a year ago before I quit driving it, I was blowing fuses in my charger about once a month, this could have been due to it was in the middle of the summer and that charger and cart was in a small shed and was really hot in there with not allot of ventilation
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

Ok, that noise is coming from the solenoid. Also, just discovered that one of the batteries is emitting smoke out of the middle chamber and it smells like rotten eggs. I get that the battery is bad but is this bad battery causing the clicking out of the solenoid?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Noel View Post
Ok, that noise is coming from the solenoid. Also, just discovered that one of the batteries is emitting smoke out of the middle chamber and it smells like rotten eggs. I get that the battery is bad but is this bad battery causing the clicking out of the solenoid?
The solenoid is supposed to be clicking, the batteries probably have enough power to activate the solenoid, but not enough power to move the cart.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Winston Noel
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I swapped out two of the batteries that the case was cracked and wouldn't hold water in one or more of the chambers, I swapped out both batteries and problem solved, running great :)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad you got it running. How about the charger? Is it working correct now?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO