lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
eel_dahc
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO TEXTRON - What year?

I have an old 2 stroke EZ-GO TEXTRON cart and I can not tell what year it is.

Where it is said to look for the Serial number, under the passnger side storage area I see a plate that says "Golf Car Systems" and "Serial No: 800707"

This cart has 60 psi forward compression and 90 reverse compression. I am wanting to do some work to it but am very afraid to get the wrong parts. My brother in law replaced a seal years ago and perhaps the other needs replacing.

The engine area looks like this, the gas tank is below the driver side of the seat.

Can someone help me so I can get this sucker running good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf.jpg (52.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg tag.jpg (32.5 KB, 245 views)
eel_dahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Hog Farmer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ-GO TEXTRON - What year?

It should be a 1980 model. The first 2 numbers represent the year.
Hog Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Have you been running it without the fan shrowd on?
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

This is not an EZ-Go tag, it's a tag from a rebuilder in Florida. I'm pretty sure this outfit would take fleets coming off-lease and "rebuild" them and sell them. I've seen this issue before and that's what the answer was.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
eel_dahc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post

This is not an EZ-Go tag, it's a tag from a rebuilder in Florida. I'm pretty sure this outfit would take fleets coming off-lease and "rebuild" them and sell them. I've seen this issue before and that's what the answer was.
I thought about that but wasn't sure. I want to get a new cylinder for it and have been leary since that number on the tag didn't match any description I have read about on here.

Does this engine look like a G1 ?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

That is definitely an EZGO engine... a 2PG 244cc made by Robin/Fuji Heavy Industries. The 2PG is just a name for the type of engine... with the external starter/generator and a horizontal cylinder orientation.

Check out some of the site sponsors for some top end parts for an 80's 2PG engine. While you have it apart, it would make sense to replace the rings and possibly the piston if it is badly worn. You should be able to buy a total top end rebuild kit with rings, gaskets, piston, wrist pin, and cylinder. It is a rather simple job really. I have a rebuild manual with torque specs and other useful info if you are interested.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
eel_dahc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
Have you been running it without the fan shrowd on?
It didn't have one when we got it. I did think of using a hub cab as sort of a shroud for it.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eel_dahc View Post
It didn't have one when we got it. I did think of using a hub cab as sort of a shroud for it.
You need that ezgo shroud. I recomend you dont run it at all untill you find a shroud for it. Post up a wanted ad in the for sale section, Some one will most likely have one sitting around

Without the shroud, no air will move over the head to cool it, and thus lead to a very quick death. One of the main reasons you have low compression right now.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
eel_dahc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
You need that ezgo shroud. I recomend you dont run it at all untill you find a shroud for it. Post up a wanted ad in the for sale section, Some one will most likely have one sitting around

Without the shroud, no air will move over the head to cool it, and thus lead to a very quick death. One of the main reasons you have low compression right now.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
texonwater
Not Yet Wild

i have a ez go 2 stroke serial 495848 manf. code j1588 ....lookin to see about aquiring manuals but it has custom paint and dont know what the tech name , size etc....can ya help
texonwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO