lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Speedylifsavr
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Reducer question 36v to 12v

I have a 36v to 12v reducer I bought from the site. It is not working and I am trying to troubleshoot. How many volts should be going in to the control wire. I have it wired to my ignition switch. I am seeing pack voltage to that wire. Sound right?

The reducer has been working great until today. I think it may have gotten wet.
Speedylifsavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reducer question 36v to 12v

The switch leg should have pack voltage. Most electronics do not tolerate getting wet unless rated water resistant.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Speedylifsavr
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you sir. I ran through some standing water and got it wet. My fault there. Just wanted to make sure I was seeing things correctly.
Speedylifsavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought a MadJax 48>12v converter that I have been giving hell in the mud... I chose this one because it has a constant 12v leg even when the cart is off for when I decide to put a radio in (to maintain clock and preset info). It's been about a month and it's holding up great!!
bsikes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
MadjaxShane
Not Yet Wild

I personally have the Madjax Converter (some call it a reducer) on my personal cart for over 2 years... With a Radio, HID Lights, Led Strip Lights, 12v outled to charge cell phone, and Led Speakers Hook to it, Its Bullet Proof!
MadjaxShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
toxicwaste29
Gone Wild
Club Car

I never use reducers. If you wire it properly to the correct number of batteries I have found you never have issues. Most light kits and radios I wire between two 8v, two 6v, or one 12v and have never had issues.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I never use reducers. If you wire it properly to the correct number of batteries I have found you never have issues. Most light kits and radios I wire between two 8v, two 6v, or one 12v and have never had issues.
Well, Ezgo and Yamaha do. Its not because they like spending the money, its because they dont like paying to replace the batteries that the lights are connected to. If the cost of battery warranties did not exceed the cost of the dc/dc convertor, the "bean counters" would never allow the cost of a dc/dc convertor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post

Unless each of your batteries has its own dedicated charger, you are slowly killing your pack every time you plug it in. ...its over-charging the rest of that pack because those two (or one) batteries are lower than the rest of the pack from getting used for all those accessories. Unbalanced packs = over charging/under charging. No way around it.

You need to buy a separate 12v battery for accessories or buy a reducer, but never run accessories off one or two batteries in a pack. You may think *you never had a problem* but your pack will not have the same life span as one that's had a properly balanced life.

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
MadjaxShane
Not Yet Wild

^^^ what he said, your RUN time will just deminish over time faster than it should, costing you more in the long run.
MadjaxShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO