lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
playaboot
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 medalist speed upgrade thoughts

Hi all I have been lurking for a little while and I thought I had it but I just keep confusing myself.
I have a 1995 medalist sepex ( regen) cart. I think. It has a FNR turn switch under my legs and a run/ tow switch on the controller cover. It has a lift with 22" tires. It has a cargo box I plan on swapping with a rear seat. It will currently drive a consistent 15 mph according to gps on flat ground with maybe a 1-2 mph decrease uphill. It is used as mainly a neighbor hood cart for my son and I, he is very lightweight. My wife will ride with us on occasion. The batteries are approx 4 months old.

My goal is to get more speed out of it maybe the 20mph range. Looking at ScottyB's site it looks like it may be possible to upgrade the controller to an Alltrax 400a and it will get me real close to that. I also plan in getting 4g cables tonight or tomorrow.
Is my thinking correct or am I missing something. Is there something else I can do. Don't really want to swap motors and trying to keep the cost down so my wife doesn't divorce me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jordan
playaboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
playaboot
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1995 medalist speed upgrade thoughts

Sorry I did not mention it is a 36v cart
Old 11-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Jordan, you are on the right track.....going with the 400a controller and upgrading ALL of the high current cables will get you in the ball park you are looking at.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use Pkg #505 = 400 amp Alltrax control and 200 amp HD solenoid for $479 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-dcx-controls.html

You would get 20 mph with stock tires so expect a couple more mph with the taller ties. Also expect 35% increase in torque. This is a DCS drive cart - you get a lot of bang for your buck with a simple upgrade in this cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
playaboot
Not Yet Wild

Awesome thanks for the help
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, dont forget the cables. They are not a "maybe" option, especially with big tires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
playaboot
Not Yet Wild

OK so I upgraded all cables to 4 Gauge cable ( I have a question about this later.) I also received my programmable Alltrax 400 amp controller and HD solenoid from ScottyB at carts unlimited. I installed everything tonight and when I turned it on I got 4 green blinks then a steady green light. Drove it and every thing seems to work great couldn't be more pleased. I clocked my top speed at 22 MPH with a steady 21. It also seems to have some serious get up and go.

My question is about the F1 and F2 wires. Every where they are referred to calls them wires and all the others are referred to as cables. The terminals they mount to are also the small plug in type not the bolt on type like the others. My question is do they also need to be replaced with 4 gauge cable are are they good as it is? Not sure how you could shove a 4 gauge cable into a connector that is small enough to slide on the post.
Thanks for the replies.
Also does anyone (scottyb) no if it comes programmed for max attainable speed and in freedom mode or whatever it is called.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

The F1 and F2 wires are fine as they are....they do not need to be changed. as far as how Scotty programs the controllers.....that is a question you need to ask him directly.....as anyone else is just guessing.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Which Alltrax 400A controller? (DCX of XCT)

What is your actual tire height? (The numbers stamped on the sidewall can be off by an inch or more.)

We tend to call cables thinner than AWG-10 wires and wires thicker than AWG-10 cables, but the AWG-10 electrical conductors used for F1 & F2 fall in the middle, so they get called wires by some and cables by others. Both words have multiple meanings, so take your pick.

The F1/F2 cables only carry up to about 30A and if the OEM wires are in good physical and electrical condition, they don't have to be upgraded or replaced.

All the high current cables (there are 10 of them on DCS and PDS carts) should be 4Ga or thicker.

If you are getting 22 MPH on a hard level surface with stock height (18") tires and a 36V battery pack, the Turbo option might not be turned on. (24 MPH is more typical)

Or it could be low voltage from the battery pack, or under-inflated tires, or small tires, or excessive mechanical drag, etc.

Get the needed interface cable and check what the controller is programmed for.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
playaboot
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys I am very happy with the performance just wanted to make sure of some things. I will get the cable and check the settings.

Tags
controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO