lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
emo666
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default clutch problems

OK--just rebuilt my 2 cycle 1988 EZGO thinking it was the cause of the noise. Yep --it did quiet it down --AT FIRST-- the first couple of rides were short trips around the block. (when I got the cart it ran but engine had to have the choke on to run and the drive belt was really -really in bad shape but it moved ok) So I take it on a longer trip for about 15 minutes and by the time I get home there is smoke coming from engine compartment and the engine is red hot- the cart was slow and surging. there is rubber residue on the drive clutch from the brand new belt installed. Yep--ordered a new drive clutch.
My question is how do I know if my driven clutch is good or bad????
emo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
emo666
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: clutch problems

DAaaaa--I moved before I troubleshot---because there was rubber on the drive clutch I ASSumed it was that--but now I SEE MY DRIVEN CLUTCH IS NOT OPENING. still not sure why it got hot and smoked-- will keep fumbling thru--also I can't push the cart without turning the motor. anyone got an idea how to release my driven clutch??
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

There is no "neutral " on two cycle powered carts
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The belt should be loose enough on the drive clutch to push the cart without the engine turning. Your drive clutch should be opened all the way, and the belt flopping down on the shaft.

You should put it up on blocks to watch the operation of both clutches. If they aren't operating smoothly, try some Moly lube, or graphite spray. if that doesn't work, take them apart for a good cleaning.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
emo666
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

got her going--took a 1&1/4 x3/4 BOARD--set it on the belt between the flanges and beat the S--t out it. AFTER I SOAKED IT OVER NIGHT WITH PB BLASTER.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Blood River1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine is doing the same thing. I need to try this. I suspect mud to have gotten in it.
Blood River1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO