lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
mackpro68
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 295 only runs good with choke pulled out alittle

Ive been fighting a issue with very low power in our very hilly campground. Flat ground its fine and fast. Slight hill and its sick. I replaced air and fuel filters and did a compression check ( 155 psi). Replaced spark plugs and gapped them. Replaced the drive belt. Checked for brakes dragging and alined the front end. Aired up tires and made sure throttle was opening all the way up. I then remember that ever since I owned this cart, I had the choke knob pulled out and 2 small zip ties around the cable to keep it pulled out slightly. Tonight I cut the ties off and pushed the cable in and looked inside the air box and choke flapper was perfect horizontal as it should be. . I test drove and I noticed that on flat ground to get top speed and smooth running I still had to pull the choke slightly. However going up hill it didnt help much to play with the choke. I installed one of thoses shorter drive belts that people talk about in some of the other threads but it slowed it down way way to much so I put the orignal back on. It does have a small lift and 22" road tread tires on it . But they have always been on it. It ran great when we first got it with this combo. Any ideals? Im in the process of checking the clutches now. Updates, both clutches open and close as they should and I also adjusted the valves. I found that the adjustable throttle rod on the carb going to the rear axle pivot point was adjusted to short and the carb was never going to the idle stop screw, I adjusted it so it now seems correct. The carb adjustments seem untouched. However same issue.
mackpro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
mackpro68
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 295 only runs good with choke pulled out alittle

I thought Id bump this to the top again as I got no feed back the first time. . To update, I pulled the carb and disassembled and cleaned out all jets and ports, reassembled. Had some snot/sludge in the fuel bowl. Removed and cleaned fuel pump and tank. Reinstalled and test fuel pump and it pumps very very well. Had always been getting oil in the air filter box and its a lifted cart. Drained oil and put the correct 1.5 quarts in it. Started and still same thing, gotta pulled the choke at least half way out to run good. I did notice one thing. With air filter removed, the oil isnt coming from the breather tube, it's blowing back out of carb when you let off the throttle and engine revs down. I keep thinking rings but it has 150+ compression. Any ideal out there guys? Also , what adjustments are on the carb itself???
Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
olevet
Not Yet Wild

Im having my own problems with not enough fuel
But in your case, If it was rings you would have low compression and it would burn oil. With it blowing oil out of your Carb It has to be something like a head gasket or bad valve seats to be lettin compression get into the crankcase
Which may be causing your choke problems . If that fuel pump is not gettin enough vacuum under a load it wont pump enough hence you have to cut down on air to keep it running
Im going to guess you need a head job and or gaskets
Have you checked your timing belt?
Thats the next step on mine Good luck
olevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

To get blow back through the carburetor, the intake valve would have to be open during the compression stroke.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
mackpro68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by olevet View Post
Im having my own problems with not enough fuel
But in your case, If it was rings you would have low compression and it would burn oil. With it blowing oil out of your Carb It has to be something like a head gasket or bad valve seats to be lettin compression get into the crankcase
Which may be causing your choke problems . If that fuel pump is not gettin enough vacuum under a load it wont pump enough hence you have to cut down on air to keep it running
Im going to guess you need a head job and or gaskets
Have you checked your timing belt?
Thats the next step on mine Good luck
Yes, I replaced the timing belt a few years ago. It has no cover on it so its easy to inspect. I have checked it twice to make sure its in time. While running it with the crank case vent to air filter hose off , there is alot of pressure/blow by coming out of the hose. Looks like im pulling the head tonight. The fuel pump seems to be pumping like crazy and the clear filter stays full. I vacume tested the fuel pickup in the tank and lines. The fuel pump will fill an empty filter in no time.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
mackpro68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
To get blow back through the carburetor, the intake valve would have to be open during the compression stroke.
In update #4 , You might be on to something. I do have 150 + psi on both cylinders remember. I ran engine with oil fill cap off and got splashed with oil and blow by, so something is going on here. Then I removed both spark plugs and used a rubber tipped blow gun that sealed tight to spark plug hole and shot 120 psi of air into driver side cylinder. Piston went to bottom and no leaks any where, all OK. Did the same thing to the passenger side cylinder and air came out the driver side spark plug hole. But i looked at the camshaft and the passenger side intake lobe was up( I think) so the air was escaping. Could the camshaft gear be on wrong? I broke a timing belt a year or so ago and replaced the belt but dont really remember if the issue started then as this is my oldest boys cart and I never really drive it. Also to make sure cylinder and piston's and valves were good. I backed off all valve adjusters where valves were all the way up and blew air into cylinders and all held air, no leaks. So have I got a cam timing issue?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
mackpro68
Not Yet Wild

Update #5 . Finally figured it out!!!!!! Thanks to Olevet and Cartaround, I started checking the cam shaft timing out. I pulled the camshaft pulley bolt and washer off and found that it wasnt very tight and the cam pulley had been slapping back and forth on the camshaft pulley locating pin and had egg shaped the cam pulley pin slot. At times this would allow the cam timing to be out as much as 2 teeth. I was gonna weld up slot and redrill but I found a new pulley for 1/2 of new.I hope this helps out someone else with the same problem.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
olevet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackpro68 View Post
Update #5 . Finally figured it out!!!!!! Thanks to Olevet and Cartaround, I started checking the cam shaft timing out. I pulled the camshaft pulley bolt and washer off and found that it wasnt very tight and the cam pulley had been slapping back and forth on the camshaft pulley locating pin and had egg shaped the cam pulley pin slot. At times this would allow the cam timing to be out as much as 2 teeth. I was gonna weld up slot and redrill but I found a new pulley for 1/2 of new.I hope this helps out someone else with the same problem.
Great news. I dont think on mine Im getting enough fuel, filter wont fill up!
I put a 2to 4 lb electric on and it did the same thing, Have another coming thats adjustable to 9 LBs . Then Im going to tear the timing cover off and look at that LOL
Engine is CTRebuilds a little over a year
olevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO