lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
bushman_22
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default 18hp omc need pics of throttle linkage at carb

I am working on a 1974 industrial type c truckster with the omc 18hp motor. I finally had time to remove the starter and repair. And I just got my carb overhaul kit. While removing the carburetor I noticed there was no linkage attached to the carb. Does anyone have picks of that piece on linkage? I can probably figure it out but a pic would be nice to reference from when I fabricate one.
I forgot to mention I have the Zenith carb
Thanks, Bushman
bushman_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 18hp omc need pics of throttle linkage at carb

My 87 Truckster with the 22 hp OMC motor isn't here right now. It's across town at my son's place, so I can't take any pictures for you, but if you go to the www.sillylittlecars.com website and click on Manuals, then click on the text "Shop Manuals" you can download a pdf file of the 898767 Supplement manual that contains about everything that you might want to know with pictures, about OMC Truckster engines. I'm pretty certain that this part of this manual will be a great help. Te only significant difference between the 18 and 22 hp versions of the OMC engine are the cylinders, and you can change from 18 to 22 hp just by changing them, with maybe also the advance springs in the timer. Otherwise these engines are the same. There was also a single cylinder version of these engines that was made for one model of Cushman Scooters. Again, most parts are the same.

From memory, my throttle linkage on my Truckster is from a vertical pivoting rod that is located on the right rear of my engine and it turns when the gas peddle is depressed. The top of this rod is bent 90 deg so it runs across behind the carburetor. A rod linkage with ball joints on each end of it runs from the end of this rod to the throttle lever on the driver's side of the carburetor. My carburetor is a Keihin, but I think the throttle linkage is very similar on your Zenith carb. Other rods from the carburetor connect to the governor, if you have one.

I hope this helps.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Was my previous post any help? I can take photos of my Truckster carb linkage if you need hem, but it will take me a few days, since the Truckster is at my son's house, acrosstown from me.

Charley
Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
bushman_22
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks for the replies. I looked at those manuals but the pics weren't great. So yes I could still use a pic if you don't mind. I am in no hurry as my work schedule has me bouncing in and out of all 3 shifts.

Thanks
Bushman
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

OK I will try to get you some pics as soon as I can and post them here. Again, I have a different carburetor, but the linkage should be similar. My carb is a Keihin (Japanese) and all of the 22 hp OMC engines that I've seen have used them. It may be this coming weekend before I can do this. Both cylinders are off of it getting new exhaust valves installed, which means the whole front of the engine (seat box, alternator, flywheel, afront castings, ir shrouds, air cleaner, etc.), so I shouldn't need to move much to get good pics of the carburetor linkage.. I'm retired, but have a lot going on lately.

Charley
Old 07-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

@bushman_22 I'm a few days late on my promise because I didn't get to see my son and my Truckster until Wednesday afternoon late.

Here are pics of the carburetor area of my 1987 Cushman Truckster 22 hp OMC engine. My carburetor is a Keihin. The first photo is of the right (passenger) side. The second is the left (driver's) side. and the third is looking straight down with the front of the truck at the bottom of the photo. The rusty round thing is the timer capThe throttle linkage got a little cut off. The gas peddle moves the rusty black rod (pivot is on the passenger side) so the right end of it moves forward as the peddle is depressed. A ball end linkage attaches from the end of the black rod (modified by previous owner) to the driver's side of the carburetor, which operates the carburetor throttle plate.

I posted them at the full resolution of my camera, and the website took them, so I hope they help.

Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0450.jpg (202.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0451.jpg (205.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0452.jpg (193.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
bushman_22
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks. The rod that connects from carb to pivot is what I am missing. You said the previous owner modified the connection to the pivot but once I have that connection figured out it looks like it is a straight rod from the pivot to the carb.
Just got done rebuilding the carb so I will be reinstalling soon. Then just have to install a fuel pump and repair the gas tank and it should be up and running.

Bushman
Old 07-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I had one of those rods from one of the OMC engines that I have for parts, but sold it to someone a year ago, sorry. I have most of the parts from two OMC 22 hp engines that I dismantled, cleaned and bagged in order to have in case something breaks on my Truckster engine. My prices are low if you should need anything else though, as I doubt that I'll ever need most of them.

On the end of the black arm that runs across behind the carburetor of my Truckster, someone has welded a short extension and then bolted a short piece of aluminum angle to it. Then that rod that you say that you are missing attaches to the piece of aluminum angle. I have at least one of those black rod assemblies here in the boxes. I'll find it tomorrow and check on what the end of it looks like to see what is different. I'll take a photo if I find something that might help you.

That black rod pivots forward when you step on the gas pedal. Pushing your missing rod forward and opening the throttle butterfly in the carburetor. If you can find similar pieces from the carburetor linkage of an old car in a junk yard, you can probably shorten it and make it work. It looks something like carb linkages that I've seen in 30's - 60's vintage Chevrolets and Fords, only much shorter.

Charley
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
bushman_22
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks again. I should have no problem now that I have the basic design

Bushman
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts