lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Vanguard carb removal

I picked up a used Vanguard 16 HP motor a few weeks ago, contemplating swapping it into my Workhorse. It’s been sitting for at least a year or so, and the oil smelled like it had fuel in it. My mechanic buddy told me to bring him the carb, and he would go thru it. After looking at the removal process, it looks like I’ve got to remove all of the front heat shields, among other parts, and then pull the manifold to get the carb off. It looks like the bolts holding the carb on go in from the bottom of the manifold, does this sound rght?
craigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Vanguard carb removal

Can't answer your question but it can't be too tough. Probably just time consuming. If it were me with a used engine I would want to take off all the shields anyway. To make sure there is no debris stuck in the fins to hamper cooling.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Craig’s, that’s what I had to do when I took my carb off.
Romove the front shrouds, remove manifold only if you have a bolts instead of a stud holding the carb down as there’s not much room to get to the bolt.

Wait I think you can clean the carb from on top without removal after I cleaned mine up. Try that first as the carb comes apart from the top.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Craig’s, that’s what I had to do when I took my carb off.
Romove the front shrouds, remove manifold only if you have a bolts instead of a stud holding the carb down as there’s not much room to get to the bolt.

Wait I think you can clean the carb from on top without removal after I cleaned mine up. Try that first as the carb comes apart from the top.
Ok, I’ll check to see if I can do that. Initially, I just took a quick look a few evenings ago to see what I needed to do to get it off. It was cold and wet outside so I didn’t spend too much time looking at it. I will check this weekend. Thanks fellas.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

No problem, hopefully yours is as clean as mine was. Mines been siting for about 5+ years and the inside didn’t look bad at all.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I actually have a shop manual for the v twin Vanguard, half that manual is about carburetors and governors....
I was able to get more information off of YouTube then I was from the manual.
One thing about it, v-twins are straightforward, and was actually able to re-ring my cart.. just by watching YouTube videos amazing I'm sure you can find the information what you're looking for about the carburetor as well on YouTube. I have posted a picture what I believe to be your carburetor hope this helps...... Assuming it's a one barrel and has not been converted..
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
I actually have a shop manual for the v twin Vanguard, half that manual is about carburetors and governors....
I was able to get more information off of YouTube then I was from the manual.
One thing about it, v-twins are straightforward, and was actually able to re-ring my cart.. just by watching YouTube videos amazing I'm sure you can find the information what you're looking for about the carburetor as well on YouTube. I have posted a picture what I believe to be your carburetor hope this helps...... Assuming it's a one barrel and has not been converted..
Yeah, that looks like mine. I just read your Big Block install. Pretty cool stuff. Now I’m wondering if the larger 20-23 HP Vanguards will be a bolt in swap-just in case I decide my 16 HP isn’t enough.....🤔🤔. I will keep my eyes open for a used one just as n case.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigy View Post
Yeah, that looks like mine. I just read your Big Block install. Pretty cool stuff. Now I’m wondering if the larger 20-23 HP Vanguards will be a bolt in swap-just in case I decide my 16 HP isn’t enough.....🤔🤔. I will keep my eyes open for a used one just as n case.
I believe the 18/20 hp would match your hole pattern but the 23 is a different block, it's larger, I think you would need to drill some holes to install.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Yes a 23hp will swap out with no problem, you can even use the clutch off the 16hp,
Just to be clear I have seen a couple of 16 HP Vanguards, that were running 23hp cams, with high rev kit and Advance timing key. The little 16 acts like it's on steroids....
Just a thought before you go looking for a 23hp, then you could be like me, hanging head in shame as I speak, why must I do everything in extreme!!! Everything!! "Tim the toolman Taylor" has nothing on me....

I just freshen this one up, it's ready for mud holes now!!!

P.S.
I go to Bandera once a year for a Bike Rally, this year it is held in March so you know I will be up there, I have a 2010 Road Glide, with a 103 stage 3, with a 7-speed baker...
Everything in extreme!!

Even my Chevrolet Avalanche, we took the 5.3 L which equates to a 325, now my 5.3 is a 383 cubic inch motor,
Everything in extreme!!
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
I believe the 18/20 hp would match your hole pattern but the 23 is a different block, it's larger, I think you would need to drill some holes to install.
I did some checking and I stand corrected, the 23 hp will bolt right in, mounting hole pattern is close enough.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!