lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Jim Smyth
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Yamaha Drive deceleration noise

Hi Guys, I found this forum because of a issue I think I have. I own a 2007 Yamaha Drive Electric. Unfortunately I have a early version (white tag). I live in a 55+ community and our mailbox is 2 miles from my house so the golf cart is mainly used for that 2-3 times a week. I bought the cart used 4 years ago but it looked brand new literally. I have replaced the Trojan batteries (originals lasted 10 years!) but havent done much else with it so its time for some love.

So the last 6 months I have a noise while decelerating and it seems to be getting louder. Its a tinny sound like metal rattling. Same symptoms as all the rest as far as only in deceleration.

I have already ordered the armature bushing JH7-H1829-00-00 and will try that to see if it helps. Also tomorrow will jack it up and remove tires and make sure everything looks good with proper torques on tires and axle nuts.

I read in the owners manual and it said to use SAE 80 W90 API GL-5 limited slip high performance gear oil. (1.43 US Quarts) Any recommendations on which brand you guys use and if its readily available at Walmart, Auto zone or should I go to a local golf cart shop?

Any other helpful hints maintenance wise would be appreciated. I read the manual and other than occasional adjustments there doesnt seem like a lot to do.

Thanks in advance, Jim
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2007 Yamaha Drive deceleration noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Hi Guys, I found this forum because of a issue I think I have. I own a 2007 Yamaha Drive Electric. Unfortunately I have a early version (white tag). I live in a 55+ community and our mailbox is 2 miles from my house so the golf cart is mainly used for that 2-3 times a week. I bought the cart used 4 years ago but it looked brand new literally. I have replaced the Trojan batteries (originals lasted 10 years!) but havent done much else with it so its time for some love.

So the last 6 months I have a noise while decelerating and it seems to be getting louder. Its a tinny sound like metal rattling. Same symptoms as all the rest as far as only in deceleration.

I have already ordered the armature bushing JH7-H1829-00-00 and will try that to see if it helps. Also tomorrow will jack it up and remove tires and make sure everything looks good with proper torques on tires and axle nuts.

I read in the owners manual and it said to use SAE 80 W90 API GL-5 limited slip high performance gear oil. (1.43 US Quarts) Any recommendations on which brand you guys use and if its readily available at Walmart, Auto zone or should I go to a local golf cart shop?

Any other helpful hints maintenance wise would be appreciated. I read the manual and other than occasional adjustments there doesnt seem like a lot to do.

Thanks in advance, Jim
You have done your homework, and are on the right track. Just use a good quality brand from the auto parts store. Fill level is to bottom of the fill plug. There is a fill plug access hole if you remove the black liner in the bagwell.

Good luck on the noise, and you will be shocked just how nasty that oil is if it hasn't been changed lately. (The factory suggests a 4 year axle oil change interval, I suggest more like 2)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Jim Smyth
Not Yet Wild

Well today my Golf Cart got some long overdue attention. Got it jacked up and drained and refilled the differential. That went without a hitch and was rather easy. Old fluid that came out looked pretty good relatively speaking. No metal residue anywhere which I was happy to see.

While the tires were off I made sure everything looked still attached and nothing leaking and all looked good. I re-tourqed the front and read axle nuts. 84 ft lbs front and 75 ft lbs rear. Front were right on but the back ones were loose. I got about a half turn on the axle nuts to get to 75 ft lbs. Very little slop in the front tires which tells me the bearings are good and no vibration while rotating the tires and holding the spindle..

Took it for a run to get the mail and low and behold no more tinny noise in deceleration. Hopefully the noise is gone for good. I will keep the inbound rubber grommet for another day if things act up again unless you think its something that should be changed out now?

But I have another question for the pros if you would be so kind. When I had it jacked up and while spinning the back tires there was a noise in the trans which I assume is the ring and pinion gears? I dont have enough experience with what sounds normal and how much backlash is normal so I did a Youtube video and would appreciate your input. Kinda freaked out with all the white label talk.

**** I cant post links for 7 days **** so if you go to youtube and type in:

yamaha drive backlash

My video is the first one and is 46 seconds long.

Many Thanks again
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Jim Smyth
Not Yet Wild

cgtech; Here is a youtube video of my 2007 Yamaha white label rear end. Is this a normal sound while jacked up and moving the rear end? Is is this something I should be concerned with or is this a normal backlash and sound? I dont have enough golf cart experience to know and all the white label talk has me concerned.

Thanks in advance, Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQieVOcC5I
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That's normal. Spider gears in the diff. No problem at all
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Jim Smyth
Not Yet Wild

OK thats very good to know. So far my retourqueing the axle nuts has gotten rid of that tinny sound and everything is running fine. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha