lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
71chadallac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Not downshifting

Ok new to golf carts Posted a question earlier and starting digging in older threads. I just watched YouTube and watched how the clutches work. If mine works fine until I slow down a little it won’t and I know I’m using the wrong words here but downshift. I have to slow way down , almost stopped, then jam on the gas and it will drop into the lower setting. Should I jack it up and press the gas and see if I can get it to simulate it? Or does somebody know what it is or isn’t doing?

Last edited by 71chadallac; 09-25-2019 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Did some research
71chadallac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Not downshifting

Yes put it up on jackstands and video what's going on. Sounds like your clutches are not working properly. Worn clutches is one of the most common golf cart problems. Lack of proper maintenance will cause the clutches to wear.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Depends on what Yamaha it is, but most use the spring in the secondary to close the primary. With those clutches you can pull the outer cover out yourself and the belt will fall in, it should move easily. Could also be the spring in the secondary clutch next to transmission is broken, you might be able to look at it closely and see it or sometimes they break on the end you can't see.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
71chadallac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Great help guys kind of excited to tear into something new and know nothing about. May turn out good may not, lol it’s the journey right?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
71chadallac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok I put it o jack stands to see what it is doing and the drive clutch pinched togather and never came back apart.assuming I need to get a new clutch???
Old 10-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

maybe not. verify exactly what you have and perform maintenance. first thing remove the belt and check end play. then disassemble inspect and possibly repair.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Field6565
Gone Wild

It could probably use a good cleaning. If not taken care of, they can get build up in them and don't want to open and close very smooth.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Depends on what clutch and cart you have. G9 for example the three weights fail and then it does not shift right, you have to buy a new set, or new clutch. Newer ones can have rollers in them that fail, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjust?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha