lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Exclamation G16 primary clutch question

I am looking for some help on this one. I have read everything (I think) about removing the drive clutch. Most of what I come across is that the puller you can buy is a big no no. It is weak and breaks and expensive. I am also hearing that it can be done with a 2x4 easier and safer. I am looking for some step by step directions so I can replace the 2 bushings in my drive clutch. Thank you all so much.
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 primary clutch question

I would be concerned using a 2x4. What will you brace it against to pry? My luck and I would crack the cases...
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh3rd View Post
I am looking for some help on this one. I have read everything (I think) about removing the drive clutch. Most of what I come across is that the puller you can buy is a big no no. It is weak and breaks and expensive. I am also hearing that it can be done with a 2x4 easier and safer. I am looking for some step by step directions so I can replace the 2 bushings in my drive clutch. Thank you all so much.
Some people call the "drive clutch" the "primary clutch", some call the "driven clutch" the "secondary clutch". If you buy a quality tool there will be no problem. Are you doing this with the engine in the cart or is the engine out. Mike is right, don't do anything that will cause damage. Also, I can't speak for Mike, but I bet he works the same way, you buy the parts from me, and i'll use my puller (it only takes seconds). You think getting the clutch off is a problem, wait till you install the bushings and they get damaged/deformed when installing and wont slide well on the fixed sheave. Don't get discouraged, sometimes asking for dealers help is the best way to go. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
golfcarthelp
Not Yet Wild

Do you keep turning the puller untill the drive the clutch come off??
golfcarthelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

YES
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Here's the link for the "secondary/ driven" clutch removal, I think it's what you are looking for........

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tructions.html

In Yamaha Gas stickies
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
rick62
Not Yet Wild

I have seen on a club car where the clutch was on so tight I thought I was going to break or damage the tool. I gave the clutch a sharp rap or two with a rubber mallet while under tension and it popped right off. I have also done it with a 2"x3"x4'you have to keep rotating the clutch as you slam it. it worked but it wasn't gentle and the clutch was being replaced not repaired. It did not seem like It damaged it any but it might of.
rick62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've taken the secondary off with a big rod and 3lb, it pops right off usually. But the primary you have to use a puller. Only way I ever got one off once was on a sled I left the bolt taped in part way and drove around the house until it came loose. But sleds have guards on the clutches too. Some use the bolt and grease method.

I had a guy make me a G9 tool. I took 2 clutches off no problem with a 1/2 impact. Got to mine it would not come off, hit it and all that. Put a 3/4 impact on and corkscrewed the puller. Its still on there I took another fixed and put my clutch back together with that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, clutch, g16, gas, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha