lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
mullar2005
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G14 Engine Noise

Hello to all. I just got my Yamaha G14 engine back from getting timed and some new gaskets. I just put it back in the cart and out in a quart of oil to get it started. Here are my problems. I think i need a new fuel pump so I have to use starting fluid to get it running. When I get it it started and then let off the gas, it sounds like something is still spinning in the clutch. The clutch itself is not still spinning but it feels like something within it is. The valves don't move so the cam, crank aren't moving. Is something in the clutch supposed to keep moving after all else has stopped? Second, I have oil in the engine but the light is still on. I have not let this run much, just a little bit to make sure it runs. Does it take some time for this light to go off when just put back in? Thanks for all the help.
mullar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G14 Engine Noise

Not sure about your running problems, but a bad oil level switch/sensor could keep the oil light on. When I change the oil, the light comes on but goes off when I add oil.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

you had to send it out to get "timed"? Your question is very unclear.

Oil light should go out right away
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
mullar2005
Not Yet Wild

Cam and crank were broke when i got it. put in new ones and had the engine timed. now that i have it i got it to run and when i let off the gas the engine stops but it sounds as if something is spinning within the motor even thought the shaft is not spinning itself. the valves move when it starts so all the parts are good and not broke. it sounds like something is spinning in the clutch. Is this normal or not?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
gutterboy2ca
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

maybe bad starter bearing? still turning after engine stops, just guessin here,have ya tried taking the seat off, pop off the belt and give it a shot whre ya can get your head right down there for a good look?.
gutterboy2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
mullar2005
Not Yet Wild

Got into the engine today and found the the shear pin on the fly wheel was broke letting the fly wheel spin freely. Thank goodness it was nothing big. Oil light is still on thought. Maybe the sensor is bad?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullar2005 View Post
Got into the engine today and found the the shear pin on the fly wheel was broke letting the fly wheel spin freely. Thank goodness it was nothing big. Oil light is still on thought. Maybe the sensor is bad?
The woodruff key on the rotor broke? Must have happened when it seized up (never seen that before)? May times the oil sensor (is really just a float sensor) can get stuck with bad oil or debrie from the engine. You can remove it from the block, (drain the oil first) and clean it with carb cleaner or what ever you like, use a continuity test (+) on the lead and (-) to the bolt flange, when the float is working you would have no "beep" with the sensor in the upside down position and no "beep" with it in the installed position. When you clean out the gunk, normally you can hear the float moveing as you shake the sensor.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That is a first, the flywheel spinning. You should be proud you found it,
some on here would have dragged it out to 60 posts.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
mullar2005
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. It took awhile for me. I am no mechanic, my grandfather who was a jet mechanic in the Navy came over and helped me take some stuff off and test it. By dumb luck I took the the plastic covers off and saw that the flywheel was moving freely. Thank Goodness that was it. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Smallblock, I will try that trick with the float this week. Just got out of school and now interviewing for some Federal Law Enforcement jobs and it is quite a process. Thanks again to all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha