lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Default loud squeal/grinding noise flywheel

I am trying to get this '84 ezgo robbins 2 stroke running and I took it for drive last night. All was well hit top speed about 24mph felt like it was hitting the rev limiter then all the sudden I heard a loud squeal bearing sound. I hear it a all speeds but the faster the louder. In grass it's not so bad. Took off the seat jacked it up and the sound is coming from the flywheel area. Just put new rings in it but still at 70 psi compression and I am running 40:1 gas/oil mix for break in. Filled it up yesterday with 50:1.

Any thoughts?
bajamanjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: loud squeal/grinding noise flywheel

70lbs compression is VERY low (you should be over 140 with that motor) - sounds like you may have the rings in upside down (or the jug is just THAT bad) ... Someone with a little better insight will be along soon I'm sure, personally though I wouldn't run it anymore til you figure out the issue
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I think that you said in an earlier thread that you honed the cylinder and replaced the rings. If that is the case then you can see that honing and new rings does not really help and can actually make the compression worse. Often the honing tool will not run concentrically and cause the cylinder to take on an egg shape. In addition it is too easy not to follow through completely and taper the bore. Now it is your cart and your money but if it were my call I would rebore +25 and put in a new piston.

With regard to the squeal, first off 24 mph is a helluva speed for a cart originally designed to max out at 12 mph. Did you throw away the govenor? Whilst you are breaking in new engine work I respectfully suggest that you take the advice of Pink Floyd and go "Steady with that axe Eugene". There is a very useful tacometer on Ebay for about $12, it is easy to install and will help you to keep the cart at around 4000 rpm (or lower during break in). On the positive side kudos to you for running the first tank at 40:1 which is exactly what EZGO say. (After that the correct ratio is 128:1 which is one ounce of oil per gallon of gas).

It can be hard to determine where these engine noises are coming from but if you are convinced that it is coming from the flywheel end then it is probably the front crankshaft bearing giving out. It could also be coming from somewhere else and my top suspect would be that you have broken a ring by over revving the engine.

Let me reiterate that it is you cart, your money and your call but if it were mine I would.

1. Accept that the compression is way too low and plan to rebuilt the top end.
2. When it is apart grab the connecting rod and turn the engine by hand. If there is play in the rod or a gritty feeling when turning or a nasty noise, then plan to replace the bottom end.

The bad news is the cost, the good news is that you will have a cart that will last you years, proving you keep your air filter and your fuel clean.

Good luck
Dave Box
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

As always I really appreciate the advise on this site! Thanks guys.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

man i,m surprised its running with 70 lbs....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

So I found the cause of the squeal. I lost the nut holding the fan on. Not sure how this cam loose but the noise was the fan hitting the aluminum housing. Also checked and the piston is in backwards. the opening is facing the exhaust not the carb. side. And I can see the ring gaps in the exhaust ports. Also the crank seal are blowing so much air I can feel and hear the air excaping when the engine is turned over by hand.

So how much compression do you think I will gain turning the piston 180 degrease? Or lost cause new piston and bore cylinder over .25"
Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Are you absolutely positive about the piston being reversed. I cannot conceive that you could get 24 mph out of the Robin if the piston was reversed. Although I have never done it myself most guys say that the engine will barely run if the piston is reversed.

You already got my opinion on the rebore so I won't re-bore you (oh I kill me I really do). Seriously man if I had 24 mph and compression of 70 psi I would not do anything other than enjoy my cart.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I too stand amazed that you're getting 24mph at that compression - I'm at 130lbs with a fresh carb, HEI ignition, and a completely clean muffler and I barely hit 22 on pavement with all 130lbs of me in the cart ... But in any case, yes - you should think about the top end and new seals, if you look around you can pick up a new jug, piston, rings, etc as a kit and throw in new seals for a total cost of under $200, easily
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

As far as 24mph goes that is an estimate. i should have used a GPS so I'm just going on the feeling of how fast. I figure I can run about 15mph and the cart seemed like it was going faster. I am pretty sure the piston is in backwards, at TDC I can see a opening in the piston (through the exhaust port) I read this was for the carb. I do have a spare engine (robbins) and I did not see the same hole and on the exhaust side and no gaps in the rings. I am pretty sure the ring gaps have to be on the carb side along with the hole. I could be wrong on this, BTW to clutch was a pain but I pulled it off with a slide hammer, worked pretty well after pb blaster.

Thanks guys,

Jay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO