lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
dmeals
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Carb/Cable Hook-up Pics PLEASE!

Just built Tillotson carb for 68/69 gasser. The hook-up for the throttle and choke cables at the carb was frigged up when I bought the cart and I don't know how to hook them up corectly. A close-up picture would be extremely helpful to know what hardware I might be missing. The Harley manual does not show enough detail up close to figure this out.

Any help here greatly appreciated!!
dmeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Don B.
Gone Wild

Default Re: Carb/Cable Hook-up Pics PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeals View Post
Just built Tillotson carb for 68/69 gasser. The hook-up for the throttle and choke cables at the carb was frigged up when I bought the cart and I don't know how to hook them up corectly. A close-up picture would be extremely helpful to know what hardware I might be missing. The Harley manual does not show enough detail up close to figure this out.

Any help here greatly appreciated!!
DITTO; I have both a 73 and an 81 here that are both missing pieces and I too am having trouble deciphering the manual detail.
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
buzzmanc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I took several pics of my 82 D4. Let me know if these help or you need a different angle. I do not have the governor hooked up on mine, and it was not hooked up when I bought it either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb.JPG (55.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Carb2.JPG (44.9 KB, 36 views)
buzzmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Don B.
Gone Wild

so do you just have the throttle cable bent over the back side behind where it goes thru the carb or what?
I looked again at the manual (I have it on CD as well) and I don't get much out of the B&W picture. I wish they showed a color one; I went through all 200-and-some pages, and they only show that one shot.....
I did get the gov parts from that listing on FeeBay yesterday and could not tell how they go on; I may wind up taking the gov back off once I see what itll do with it in place, but I want to try it out as designed first before I start modifying..... I do know there is some leeway for adjustment with it in place; and that in the book it makes reference to 3000 RPM in a few spots; yet it shows a different ground speed at teh same engine RPMs; I don't see how that is possible unless one is 3000 uphill and the otehr is 3000 downhill; on teh downhill run not lugging so hard I can see where the centrifugal clutch might spool out farther on the downhill run due to not having to work as hard.

Again going back to 4 cycle-land (Briggs, Kohler etc) typically they are designed to run (and HP is rated at around) 3400-3600; in a few apps I see them call for 3750-3800 and very rarely but I see reference to a very occasional 4000 top speed on these 4 cycles I mention. I hnow most 2 cycles can and do spin up faster but even the old Johnson outboards I play with are usually rated for 4000 max RPM and those are not only 2 cycle, but water cooled as well; so being an air cooled 2 cycle that would be the absolute max, that I would want to spin these Harley engines.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
buzzmanc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The cable has a hook bent in it where it goes through. This is where it pushes open when you hit the accelerator. Looks like a factory bend in it near as I can tell. I have had it off and it does not look like anybody has messed with it. I will look in my manual to see if I can see any more clearly about the governor.
buzzmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Don B.
Gone Wild

OK thanks; mine don't have any zigzag or hook in the cable. and I have the factory book and a CD copy of it as well; unlss mine is a "reprint" (it looks official/original the way it is "bound") and the real ("official") factory ones might be clearer, that I don't know.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
chilock
Not Yet Wild

not to hi jack the thread. but could some one please post a picture of under the cart of the throttle cable going through the little clamp on the frame and how it is positioned buy the pedal. I just put my throttle cable back on and it is cocked coming through the clamp and attaching to the pedal. There also is so much more throw in the pedal compared to the carb throttle arm. When I end up pushing the pedal it will move the internal cable until the throttle arm on the carb stops and then it pushes the cable back through the clamp. Any thoughts. I made a new bracket to line the throttle cable up with the pedal but it still slips in the bracket. Thanks
chilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson