lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Default Generator/starter

I am about to swap a clone motor into my 06 TXT and was going to mount the starter/generator in it so I would have some battery charging.

I just wanted to know how the starter generator works I mean I know the starter starts the motor, but is there then some sort of feedback for it to stop once the motor gets going or is it just continually running? If I use the stock wiring from the cart will it still function in the same way? Any alterations I need to make?

thanks!
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Vavoomskill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Generator/starter

The starter becomes a generator after a certain RPM. 1000-1500 range "just guessing".. it's an excited field generator. it needs current to make a magnetic field and become a generator. I would say if you leave it wired to the cart "stock " it will be just fine.
Vavoomskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Cool thanks
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
GreyGoose
Not Yet Wild

Check out my thread I am using the stock gen/start and build around the factory mount using cpp's cradle it's title 99 TXT Gx390 swap.
GreyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Any motor can be a generator, well a DC motor can be. The VR excites the field so it can control how much it charges. A big solenoid connects it to the battery and it tries to spin at its design rpm whatever that is, something faster than the cranking engine. But once the engine starts the motor is spinning as fast or faster than it wants to by itself, then it becomes the load rather than loaded if you see what I mean. Much like engine braking in a truck or car the engine becomes the load to vehicle speed and slows it down. In this case only when the VR excites the field causing it to work and make power. The solenoid stays connected to the battery that is where the power comes out and goes to the battery when it charges. If you slow below working speed it again will start to turn the motor and take power from the battery.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps