lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
82EZTank
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 EZ-Go speed control

So, I bought my first golf cart last week for $200. Its in decent shape for being older and not very well cared for, minus the past couple years it sat in a garage. I got all the batteries installed, and went to take it for it's first test drive. I started backing out of the garage, and noticed a very electrical smell. Pulled the seat off and noticed I was getting a lot of arcing in the speed control board when under a load. By under a load, I mean with the wheels on the ground. I jacked up the rear, pressed on the accelerator, no arcing, sparks, or hot smell. I do not know when the last time this cart was driven, and the guy I bought it off of, had no clue either. My dad suggested using fine grit sand paper and clean the contacts off on the speed control. Could the arcing be from oxidation on the copper contacts, do you think it will go away by cleaning them. Any ideas are appreciated.
82EZTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 EZ-Go speed control

I would mark the cables and remove the wiper board. Pay attention to how it's assembled, and tear it apart and thoroughly clean the contacts. I prefer a ScotchBrite pad, but a very fine grit sand paper or fine steel wool would probably be fine as well. Make sure you don't leave sand paper dust or steel wool hairs, which is why I like plastic ScotchBrite.

Arcing sounds like there may be a loose connection, rather than a dirty one, but either is possible. Pay attention to whether the heat from the arcing caused damage to the board. You may have to replace one or more contacts and/or the board. A LOT of current flows through these, so a solid contact is mandatory.

Keep us posted.

And if you got a buggy and charger for $200, a little money here and there is worth it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
82EZTank
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 82 EZ-Go speed control

Figured I would update my progress. I took everything out from underneath my seat. Motor, speed control, batteries, all of it. Printed off a wiring schematic and started replacing all the corroded wires. There really isn't much to those older carts. I still am in the process of replacing batteries(those suckers aren't cheap). After 4 hours on the charger I usually can drive around for about 20 minutes...here is a charger question. When I turn my charger on, and check the voltage I an only getting 24.6 volts at the plug. When I plug it in to the cart, I can touch the first and last battery and watch it climb..why am I only getting 24 volts...mind you it is old...Motor Appliance Company out of Chesterfield Missouri. Otherwise I am noticed the cart runs fantastic since the maintenence.
82EZTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO