lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
nrstoker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Whiplash starts

I don't even know what to call this.

I rebuilt my cart - cleaned up all the wires. Made sure everything was hooked up right and looked pretty.

I took out the batteries, F/R switch and controller. I did not touch the pedal box, motor, key switch or solenoid.

Now if I just touch the gas the wheels scream forward and I get whiplash. My cart is wide open or nothing.

I am assuming it is the pedal box - but I did not touch the pedal box. Assumptions usually mean I have done something wrong - so before I start digging into the pedal box - does this esteem group have any suggestions of what else I could have done wrong? In particular I hope I hooked the controller up correctly. It is a Curtis Model 1205-117. I am using 24 volts.

Thanks for your time.
nrstoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Whiplash starts

24 volts?? how are you doing that???

so give us a bit more...

year
model
does it have a SERIES or SEPEX type drive system.

oops....I see you said it has a F&R....so it should be a series drive. so the "shifter" is by your knee on the front of the rear box below the seat....correct??
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
nrstoker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Kind of silly for me. Sorry.

First it is 36 volts.

It is a 2007 EXGO ST Sport 2+2

And "Yes" the shifter is under my right knee when driving.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it takes off at full blast the instant the solenoid closes, I see three possibilities:
1. MOSFETs in the controller shorted.
2. High current cables connected to wrong terminals.
3. ITS signal at max throttle, or beyond, all the time.

Pull the wire from Pin-1 on the controller. (There should be three push-on connectors bunched together, pins 2 & 3 have the Black and the White wires from the ITS sensor in the pedal box)

With Pin-1 disconnected, the controller does not power up when the solenoid is energized and if the cart still takes off at full throttle, you have high-current wires attached to the wrong terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis 1204-1205 terminals.JPG (11.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
nrstoker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I pulled the wire as you suggested and nothing moved.

My son thinks I am too sensitive. Would you look at this video and tell me if you think this is to jerky of a start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81o4FTwHWrQ

Many thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like the throttle might be a bit on the quick side.

Could be a couple of things.

1. Crosstalk between pins in the in-line connector that connects cable from pedal box to wiring harness. (Pack voltage from pedal switch getting into ITS circuit, or partial short between Black & White wires to ITS sensor in pedal box)

2. Throttle up ramp too steep. (Acceleration Rate adjustment)

I'd check the ITS voltages first. I don't have a manual for your cart specifically, but the 875/Titan uses the same controller, so the information in Section-E ought to be correct for your cart.

The voltage on Pin-3 should be 1.4V to 1.8V when the pedal is pushed just far enough for solenoid to click and smoothly increases to 2.4V to 2.8V as pedal is slowly pushed to floor.

-------------
If the cart was taking off more gently before your worked on it, It throttle up ramp probably hasn't changed, but Page-23 of the Curtis manual tells you how to adjust the acceleration rate.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO