lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New here and wanted to say hi.

It depends on how many amps the 12V accessories draw and what charger you are using.

What happens when you tap the main battery pack for 12V is that two of the batteries are discharged more than the others, so when the pack is charged in series, those two tend to get undercharged while the other four tend to get overcharged.

If the 12V amp draw isn't very high, the effect won't be very significant and chargers that use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to shut off and using float charging after main charge terminates, may bring the pack back into balance. Also giving the two batteries used for 12V a supplemental charge with a 12V charger will equalize the pack.

Of course, it is better to use a DC voltage reducer so the entire pack is discharged equally by the 12V accessories, or use a separate 12V battery for the 12V accessories.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
dankfoot
Getting Wild

Once again thank you.

I will probably only hook up my lights / tail lights first and the radio later.

Will using two batteries for just the lights be ok?

Here is my charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (133.2 KB, 0 views)
dankfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If they are incandescent lights, they can draw a lot of amps. (Add up the watts of all the bulbs and divide by 12 to get the amp draw. IE: Two 55W halogen headlights alone draw about 9A, so you should use a voltage reducer or separate 12V battery)

Some radios have pretty health audio amps and can also draw a lot of amps. Amp draw ought to be listed on label.

Your charger shuts off when the on-charge voltage reaches about 45V, so your batteries are susceptible to the charging issues cause by tapping the pack for 12V accessories.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
dankfoot
Getting Wild

ok, cool.

So some people use a separate 12 volt battery. Are people keeping this battery in the back of the cart? (trunk) or is there room under the seat?

Is there any budget voltage reducers worth a ****?

Also, is my charger a decent charger?

Thanks,
Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is room for a regular sized 12V battery in front of the driver side wheel well and there is room for a compact one in front of the controller.

The "trunk" is called a bag well.

As for the budget voltage reducers:
Quality is like buying oats:
If you want nice, clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper...

Your charger is a good one, but the design is long in the tooth.
The charge profile designed into it is for Trojan batteries and their clones.

Here is a manual for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
dankfoot
Getting Wild

Talking Re: New here and wanted to say hi.

Thanks man.

Oats are ok, but I prefer beer. Good beer.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #17
GABulldawg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

As for the budget voltage reducers:
Quality is like buying oats:
If you want nice, clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper...
This...this is hilarious. After this Monday I needed that!
GABulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The "surepower" reducers used by yamaha and ezgo are pretty good but $$$. The reducers from ScottyB have a pretty good reputation (i cant say, never tried 'em). The reducers from DPI have been working with no troubles in the applications i have tried them in, and price is good. The cheap ones from ebay have "already been through the horse"! Those junkers were used from the factory on the Polaris Breeze, and fail all the time (thats where i been testing the DPI ones ).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #19
dankfoot
Getting Wild

Thanks Guys,

Last night I started installing my back seat. I'm about 1/2 done. I got the seat from e-bay from a company called Steeleng Golf Cart Accessories. As of right now I'm a little concerned if the step in the back will be strong enough. Once I bolt it down tight I hope it feels stronger. Also, the roof struts aren't quite lining up correctly. Has anyone heard of Steeleng and how do you like them?

Also, I did see where you could add another battery for the lights and radio under the seat. How are people strapping the battery down so it doesn't fall over?

Another question. A couple of days ago I was riding and it seems like the cart lost power for maybe a second. Then it started going again. Last night I was riding and it lost power again but for maybe a few seconds. It's like it just pauses for a few seconds. I have not had a chance to check connections but at a glance everything looks tight. Does anyone know where I should start looking for this issue or does anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks,
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Lots of possibilities, but I's start with the 4 wire MOLEX connector coming from the throttle box. It's the most exposed to the elements.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO