lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
imrex613
Not Yet Wild

Default ez go 36v dies under throttle

Hello all,

I am having some trouble and hoping someone can help me. I have an electric ez go 36v cart (I believe it is a 1996 I am not 100% sure). The issue I am having is the cart will run and die out. If i barely tap the gas it will last but not very long, if i floor the gas it dies out IMMEDIATELY.

So far I have replaced the solenoid and bypassed the reed switch. Neither of these two things have cleared up my issue. One thing I noticed is the B+ terminal is getting the same voltage as the battery at all times (about 37.5 volts). Also, when the cart dies out the B+ terminal is going to almost 0 volts. When I flip the tow/run switch to tow the B+ terminal goes back up to 36 Volts. When I go back to run and hit the gas it does the exact same thing. I am STUCK and hope someone can help me. Could this possibly be a bad controller?

Also, I've noticed that the reverse beeper comes on even when the cart is in forward occasionally. This only happens after the cart has died out on me and to get it to stop I turn the tow/run switch and it stops. Any help is appreciated thank you!
imrex613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: ez go 36v dies under throttle

Is solenoid clicking when pedal pressed? Does the precharge resistor on the solenoid get hotter than the sun when you are trying to move cart?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
imrex613
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I am hearing a click every time the pedal is pressed. It sounds as if its coming from below the cart though I did not pin point the exact location. The solenoid is not getting hot at all nor is anything else.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Hook negative lead to negative B- terminal at controller. With solenoid activated (and wheels off ground) Probe positive terminal at pack, and every terminal on that wire up to the controller B+ terminal. Where the tester stops showing power is the problem (im thinking its solenoid).
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
imrex613
Not Yet Wild

When you say at pack is that the B+ wire?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Yes
Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
imrex613
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I probed the wire and at first it reads 37.5. Once its hit throttle and the machine cuts off it drops down to .1. When I let off it goes to .7. When the cart is then put into neutral it goes to 4.5 at idle and .1 when the gas is pressed.

Also the reverse beeper starts going off after the cart cuts off and I have no idea why (even while still in forward).
Old 08-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Ok, battery terminals with main cables & 37.5v drops to nearly zero when throttle pressed? If so, you have a bad battery, battery cable, or loose connection.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
imrex613
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ok, battery terminals with main cables & 37.5v drops to nearly zero when throttle pressed? If so, you have a bad battery, battery cable, or loose connection.
Just to be clear from my previous post. At neutral or in forward the cart has 37.5 volts on the B+ wire before pressing any throttle (I thought it was suppose to only do this once gas was pressed). Once I hit the throttle the cart moves then dies right away at it drops to .1 when on throttle then goes to .7 when I release the throttle. When I flip the TOW/RUN switch to TOW it goes back up to 37.5 volts in neutral or forward. When I flip it back over to RUN it stays 37.5 but does the same process if I press throttle.

With that clarification do you still think it is a bad battery or loose connection? I just bought 6 new batteries and they all seem to hold a charge fine. Is there a test I can do to see if maybe a battery is bad? I will check over all wire connections also once I get your response. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Negative test lead at battery pack main Neg. Pos probe each of the large terminals of the solenoid. Side from the battery pack should have full voltage all the time, side to controller should have slightly less, until solenoid is activated, then full pack voltage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO