lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: lights- DC converter issue?

ok but with a 48v setup, (8 volt batteries) i would be running 16-17 volts to the lights if i wired off 2 batterieswithout the converter. would that work?
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The short answer is yes. I've done it many times over without ever having an issue. Some people have had issues from what I've read with bulbs not lasting. It depends on the bulb wattage I would guess in those cases, as the bulb size can have anything from 27 watt to 50 watt.....the more wattage the higher the heat the more likely the chance of failure would be my guess. However running the stock bulbs I never had a failure. I actually made a post about this on another thread where I tested the batteries on 7 carts of different age, voltage and battery makers. There was zero difference in battery life on any of them as tested to the hundredth of a volt. I right now have a 2011 Precedent with the 6x8 setup and I run my lights on 16V.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

16v with nothing at all to reduce? Seen it done, Many times. It works (really good & bright). The bulbs have a significantly shorter life than if powered by the proper voltage. I used to make my own 16v -> 12v reducers from "ballast wire" from the auto parts store, still do every once in a while for the cheapest customers who refuse to spend on a convertor. I still suggest getting a convertor that draws equally from all batts. Or a seperate 12v batt for your lights (this idea works great, according to many here, but you have to charge it seperate of the rest). The facts (according to ezgo, yamaha, and my 8+ yr cart repair experience) still show that frequent users of 12v accessories who draw from less than all of their traction batteries will have problems with the ones their 12v accseeories are on. The "4x 12v" Rxv is a shining example, the accessories ran only from battery #3, guess what battery was always first to fail, guess who now sells them with a dc/dc convertor from the factory (ezgo bean-counters & warranty dept. had a meeting or 2). Same goes for Yamaha, G22 had lights hooked to two 8v (and a high failure rate of those 2), every G29 with lights from the factory has a 48v -> 12v dc/dc convertor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Also Jeff, I don't know which light setup you have but I have installed many Madjax kits and they have in the instructions to wire directly off a wire that has a spade connector on it from the factory and is unused.

CG, I wouldn't have an RXV if it was given to me. I don't trust electronic brakes as far as I can throw them. And I wouldn't run without a reducer on an AC system either, to many variables. My curiosity with AC carts is, if they are so great why is EZGO the only one making them? (not that I'm implying you said they were great, but the "dealers" talk about them like gods) They do have very good off line accel but once at speed I simply can't get over the brake system.....it's trash.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
cgtech

Yamaha

Only OEM making them? Been to a Yamaha dealer lately? The new Yamaha AC has "real brakes", and will blow away a rxv.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, thanks for all the help!

was really not wanting to have to charge a 12v battery separately but maybe that is the best option.

I don't want to replace a converter every few months either

is it likely i would have problems if we only occasionally run lights off 2 of the main batteries ?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
cgtech

Yamaha

The less you use the lights, the less the effect will be.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

any thoughts on using LED lights. Wondering if they will hold up the 16-17 volts. Too expensive to blow them, put since they wont draw much power, i am thinking that might be a good route to go?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #19
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Only OEM making them? Been to a Yamaha dealer lately? The new Yamaha AC has "real brakes", and will blow away a rxv.
Ok they started making them....but I'm not impressed with the stats. Max speed 14.8mph, that EZGO 36V speed. I know the RXV does 23 top speed.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
cgtech

Yamaha

No RXV "as equipped" from ezgo ever topped 19.5mph. Yamaha AC "PTV" model = 19.5 mph "as equipped" from yamaha. I work at a dealer that sells Yamaha and Ezgo carts, please get your facts straight so as to not look a fool.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO