lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Luper76
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 txt PDS upgrage to motor and solenoid advice

Complete newbie here. I just bought a 2004 TXT PDS (36v) that is completely stock. I have read through a bunch of threads and know I am in the right place. I haven't done anything to it yet but wanted to start with a new motor, 4 gauge wiring and anything else that needs to be replaced to get more speed and torque. I have reached out to a company that sent me a quote for a package and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on this. The cart will be used for golf and driving around the neighborhood. No real hills to speak of.

Mild Hills Package Deal

(1) MOT-B2 / Admiral High Speed Motor w/ 8.4HP

(1) CON-XCT500PDS / Alltrax 500 amp Controller

(1) CON-004 / Diode, 3 AMP for Solenoid

(1) CON-034 / Resistor, precharge for 400 AMP Solenoid

(1) SOL-1023 / Heavy duty 400 AMP Solenoid

(1) MOT-5004 / This is the part # for the package deal that includeds all the above products.

4 gauge wiring sold separately.

What have you done or would do differently to get started? Thanks
Luper76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 txt PDS upgrage to motor and solenoid advice

XCT400PDS, 4g cables, a 7th 6v battery, and 42v charger is all that most people will ever need for this cart.

60% improvement in torque and 25+ mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pds2.jpg (62.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luper76 View Post
Complete newbie here. I just bought a 2004 TXT PDS (36v) that is completely stock. I have read through a bunch of threads and know I am in the right place. I haven't done anything to it yet but wanted to start with a new motor, 4 gauge wiring and anything else that needs to be replaced to get more speed and torque. I have reached out to a company that sent me a quote for a package and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on this. The cart will be used for golf and driving around the neighborhood. No real hills to speak of.

Mild Hills Package Deal

(1) MOT-B2 / Admiral High Speed Motor w/ 8.4HP

(1) CON-XCT500PDS / Alltrax 500 amp Controller

(1) CON-004 / Diode, 3 AMP for Solenoid

(1) CON-034 / Resistor, precharge for 400 AMP Solenoid

(1) SOL-1023 / Heavy duty 400 AMP Solenoid

(1) MOT-5004 / This is the part # for the package deal that includeds all the above products.

4 gauge wiring sold separately.

What have you done or would do differently to get started? Thanks
The XCTxxxxPDS does not use a pre-charge resistor.

However, the solenoid does need a 6A diode across its contacts to prevent an over-voltage event is keyswitch is turn off while in regen braking is occurring.

I'd be concerned about a vendor not being aware of this.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Luper76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. So the package deal has more than what I really need. I know that there are a million ways to get more out my cart but is leaving the stock motor and upgrading the controller and solenoid a reasonable way to get increased speed and torque?

Again thanks for your help.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So the package deal has more than what I really need. I know that there are a million ways to get more out my cart but is leaving the stock motor and upgrading the controller and solenoid a reasonable way to get increased speed and torque?

Again thanks for your help.
It works for a lot of people. These motors can produce more than they are set up to produce for the golf courses. Tell us more about your cart and it's use so we can know what your performance needs are.
Big tires?
Rear Seat?
Hills?
Soft terrain?
Target speed?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Luper76
Not Yet Wild

Everything is stock on it right now. I plan on putting 12" low profile wheels.
No rear seat or lift
No hills to worry about
Use it for golf and plugging around the neighborhood. Plan to also add stereo/speakers & street legal light kit.

Like to get it as fast as possible while not causing any unneeded wear on the cart or having to make too many costly additions for little gain. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Everything is stock on it right now. I plan on putting 12" low profile wheels.
No rear seat or lift
No hills to worry about
Use it for golf and plugging around the neighborhood. Plan to also add stereo/speakers & street legal light kit.

Like to get it as fast as possible while not causing any unneeded wear on the cart or having to make too many costly additions for little gain. Hope that makes sense.
Tire height (rather than rim diameter) is a major contributing factor.

Stock tire height is 18" and if you install taller tires you'll increase the cart's speed, but you will also lose torque and the motor won't spin as fast as it did in the stock height tires, so it is a balancing act.

The stock PDS controller limits the motors RPM to about 4400 (18 MPH on 18" tires) and if you install a controller that does limit motor RPM, or one that lets the user set the max RPM limit, a stock PDS motor will spin at about 5600 RPM at 36V, which is about 24 MPH on 18" tires.

Upping the pack voltage to 42V will up the motor RPM to about 6500, which is about as fast as a stock PDS motor ought to be spun, and is about 28 MPH on 18" tires.

If you stay under 20" on the tire height, the cart probably won't have to be lifted to get tire clearance, but the closer you stay to 18", the less stress on the drive train.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Luper76
Not Yet Wild

Dumb question, but I am going to ask it. If I add a battery to make it 42v I would have to get a new battery charger?

Either way, do you suggest going with 2g or 4g cables with a set up like you explained?

I might upgrade motor down the road after reading how others got the bug to keep tinkering.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Dumb question, but I am going to ask it. If I add a battery to make it 42v I would have to get a new battery charger?

Either way, do you suggest going with 2g or 4g cables with a set up like you explained?

I might upgrade motor down the road after reading how others got the bug to keep tinkering.

Thanks!
The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Yes, you'll have to get a 42V charger.

You'll also have to have a controller and solenoid that work at 42V.

Most aftermarket controllers will work from 36V to 48V and anyplace in between, but not many solenoids will. The Super-Duty one I have does and I've used it at 36V and 42V so far and will continue to use it if I go to 48V in the future.

As for cables, 4Ga is minimum and is adequate for controllers up to 400A. 4Ga or 2Ga with 400A controllers and 2Ga or thicker for 500A controllers and above.

You have a PDS drive, so there are 10 high current cables. The two smaller cables going to the motor's field windings don't carry many amps (<30 typically), so the OEM cables don't have to be replaced, unless they are damaged.

Tags
electric, motor, solenoid, txt, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO