lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Solenoid Wiring... apparently mine is different?!?

I have a 2001 EZGo TXT. Just bought it and the previous owner appears to have hacked it up a little.

When I bought it, he said the charger was bad. Apparently, he just didn't know that the charger wouldn't kick on if the batteries were too low. So, after a little Youtube redemption, I charged the batteries enough to get the Powerwise Charger to kick on. Charged the batteries fully and she was running great. . . for an hour.

I noticed a burning smell after taking it around the block. Then it is dead in the water. Flipped up the seat and see one of the battery posts (2nd one to the left in the front row) has melted.

When I reach down, the wire is very hot and the wire seems loose. OK, was it loose because the post is partially melted or is the post partially melted because the wire was loose. I'm not sure. ****, I should have checked that before I started driving it. Oh well, too late now.

OK, tighten it back up but cart will not run again. You turn the key on, it would bump forward a half inch but not move at all. Is it possible, the partially melted battery post is killing it? or should I be looking back to the solenoid, or controller?!?

I start thinking maybe the previous owner had not hooked everything up correctly when he was trying to fix it before, and that is what caused the post to load up and melt. So I start looking up diagrams and Youtube videos. From everything I read, the small posts on the solenoid are suppose to have 2 red wires and 2 black wires. Not my cart, I have a red wire, a yellow wire, a blue wire and a white wire w/ a yellow stripe (which also is weird because it isn't even a normal type of eyelet connector) The red, yellow and blue look factory spec???

The large posts on the solenoid have two large black wires on one side and one large black and two small red on the other. The resistor which was installed appears to be melted. Not sure if that JUST happened or if it has been like that for a while. There is no diode... which was mentioned on one of the Youtube videos...

On top of this issue, I could also use a little solenoid trouble shooting advice. What reading am I looking for when I do a continuity test on the solenoid. Should it read a low number? Mine reads around 08-09 ohm's set on 200
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Wiring... apparently mine is different?!?

The melted battery post could be due to being too loose, or too tight, or corroded.
High current connections should be corrosion free and the nuts on the battery terminals tightened to between 8.00 and 8.75 Ft/Lb of torque.

To figure out which wire goes where, we need to find out what type drive system the cart has, Series or SepEx (PDS). See attached chart.

Since you have a yellow wire and a blue wire going to the small terminals on the solenoid and no diode, I suspect you have a PDS cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

It has the switch on the controller cover.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
It has the switch on the controller cover.
That makes it a PDS. Schematic attached.

The stock configuration for the solenoid is:
1. Yellow wire on one small terminal and a blue one on the other. No other wires or diodes on the small terminals.
2. High current cable from battery pack's main positive terminal and a small red wire on one large terminal and two high current cables on other terminal. Plus a 250Ω resistor connected between the two large terminals.

Note-1: There may be two red wires on the battery side large terminal. The single red wire splits inside the harness and goes to two places, but it that joint fails, the fix is adding a second wire.

Note-2: There may be either one or two high current cables on the controller side large terminal. The controller side terminal connects to both the B+ terminal and to the A2 stud on the motor. Sometimes the two high current cables are connected together at the B+ terminal on the controller instead of the controller side large terminal on the controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK, I'll start there. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
jeffg1010
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, tried that. Hooked up the solenoid as mentioned. Still nothing. (I assume I am testing the solenoid correctly) I am still wondering about this extra wire or two. There is still a red wire with a ring connector. It is coming out of a small harness that appears to drop to the frame somewhere near the parking brake. The other 3 wires that parallel it go into the wide connector that goes into the controller. The white and red wire also has me scratching my head.

Solenoid does not kick on at all. Completely dead. When I put it in reverse, the back up alarm comes one. So, that is one thing showing a sign of life.

Also tested the batteries. They all show around 6.4
Old 11-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Does your cart have a battery meter or an hour meter?

Pictures would help.

Tags
diagram, solenoid, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO