lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default DCS question

I am about to take off controller cover for first time...

I have read to remove the battery negative cable before taking off the controller cover?

When working on other parts of the cart, I just removed one of the battery cables... I typically remove between battery 3 and 4.

Is there a reason why battery negative when removing the controller cover?

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS question

Put the run/tow switch into the 'maintenance' position. disconnect the main negative cable at the pack (battery #6)
Remove the cover.
Reverse process to reconnect.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
Other than the EZGO service manual specifically states that the BL- cable must be disconnected in a "Warning" that precedes the DCS controller R&R instructions, I not aware of any electrical, or safety, or mechanical reason to disconnect that specific cable. (See page F-23 in attached manual.)

The first thing I do when I lift the seat to work on my cart is flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow/Maintenance. If the battery pack needs to be disabled, I usually disconnect a cable on the driver side, but if I'm messing with the high current cables on the controller or motor, I also disconnect both the main B- and main B+ cables at the battery pack.

Perhaps I'm over cautious, but I have a lot of respect for the 10.3kW of energy stored in my 42V - 245AH battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
Perry007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
I am about to take off controller cover for first time...

I have read to remove the battery negative cable before taking off the controller cover?

When working on other parts of the cart, I just removed one of the battery cables... I typically remove between battery 3 and 4.

Skip

Removing the battery negative takes the power away from the controller and less likely to fry. It is safer for you and the controller.

Do as Scotty has laid out, it reduces the risk...
Perry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some of the troubleshooting instructions say to disconnect battery negative first than remove the cover and then reconnect battery negative and proceed with the testing.

I guess this is just for safety reasons and not to blow your controller when trying to remove the cover?

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry007 View Post
Removing the battery negative takes the power away from the controller and less likely to fry. It is safer for you and the controller.

Do as Scotty has laid out, it reduces the risk...
I'm not saying the battery pack doesn't have to be disconnected, it should be.

What I am saying is that I don't know of any valid reason why it has to be disconnected by specifically removing the cable on the main negative terminal.

Disconnecting any of the five cables connecting the six batteries in series will effectively disconnect the battery pack from the controller, as would disconnecting the main positive cable.

In a nutshell, there are seven viable ways of disconnecting the 36V battery pack from the DCS controller. Removing the cable from the main negative terminal is but one of them and the other six are just as effective.

However, upon reading skipsmith521 most recent post above, I see that I misunderstood his question. Apparently he was asking why the battery pack needed to be disconnected rather than why the main negative cable had to be disconnected to disconnect the battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

KISS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO