lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default New T-875 Batts are in the CCP - Seasoning/Cycling?

Hi Guys,

Been reading a bit about "cycling" and "seasoning" new batteries. Some different opinions but all in all it seems that the underlying message is to not let the pack go below 70 SOC before throwing it on the charger. In my case I can't really get out on the cart to give it a good run because camp isn't open yet and my neighbourhood doesn't allow carts. I gave it a few short runs up a down the street before getting it back in the garage which didn't really deplete too much of the pack, maybe down to 50.4. Anyway, I tossed it on the charger but the DPI charger had it fully charged and in a green light status in about 20 mins so I unplugged. Would it make sense to jack up the back end and run it that way to get the pack down a bit more so it gets a better cycle? Ideally I'd like for it to be more or less seasoned when camp opens up in a few weeks. Ideas?

Thanks!
Gazoo
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: New T-875 Batts are in the CCP - Seasoning/Cycling?

Jacking up the cart and trying to run the batteries down would fall into the "bad idea" or perhaps even "disastrous" category

With no load on the cart, you are really risking "over revving" the motor with a possible result of the motor self destructing. As a result, you might not have the motor replaced in time for camp opening.

You have only so many cycles in your new batteries ... I would suggest saving those cycles for actual use

They may do that on Zetox but I don't suggest your try it here on Earth !!!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Jacking up the cart and trying to run the batteries down would fall into the "bad idea" or perhaps even "disastrous" category

With no load on the cart, you are really risking "over revving" the motor with a possible result of the motor self destructing. As a result, you might not have the motor replaced in time for camp opening.

You have only so many cycles in your new batteries ... I would suggest saving those cycles for actual use

They may do that on Zetox but I don't suggest your try it here on Earth !!!
Gotcha!!

so how does cycling of new batteries really differ from "good practice" end of day charging with a goal of not letting the pack go too low?

Live Long and Prosper
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 11.41.43 PM.png (100.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
So how does cycling of new batteries really differ from "good practice" end of day charging with a goal of not letting the pack go too low?
The "cycles" that I was referring to was from the "Cycle Life Chart" that most (??) of the battery manufactures publish. It refers to how may "cycles" are in the "life" of your battery for a given "depth of discharge".

I looked high and low for a Trojan T-875 Cycle Life Chart, but all I could find on their website was the one attached below ... which does not cover your batteries. It does cover common 6 volt golf cart batteries such as the Trojan T-105, T-125 and T-145.

This chart shows that for a given Depth of Discharge, you "should" (??) expect the following Number of Cycles (battery life expectancy in cycles) :

Depth of Discharge ----- Number of Cycles
----- 20% ----------------------- 3000
----- 30% ----------------------- 2100
----- 40% ----------------------- 1500
----- 50% ----------------------- 1200
----- 60% ----------------------- 1000
----- 80% -------------------------750

From the above numbers, you can see that if you limit your Depth of Discharge, your expected battery life will increase.

So limit your discharge, charge often and prosper with a longer battery life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Cycle Life Chart.JPG (43.8 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
The "cycles" that I was referring to was from the "Cycle Life Chart" that most (??) of the battery manufactures publish. It refers to how may "cycles" are in the "life" of your battery for a given "depth of discharge".

I looked high and low for a Trojan T-875 Cycle Life Chart, but all I could find on their website was the one attached below ... which does not cover your batteries. It does cover common 6 volt golf cart batteries such as the Trojan T-105, T-125 and T-145.

This chart shows that for a given Depth of Discharge, you "should" (??) expect the following Number of Cycles (battery life expectancy in cycles) :

Depth of Discharge ----- Number of Cycles
----- 20% ----------------------- 3000
----- 30% ----------------------- 2100
----- 40% ----------------------- 1500
----- 50% ----------------------- 1200
----- 60% ----------------------- 1000
----- 80% -------------------------750

From the above numbers, you can see that if you limit your Depth of Discharge, your expected battery life will increase.

So limit your discharge, charge often and prosper with a longer battery life
Thanks!!

Appreciate the info. Batteries are costly little buggers so I plan to treat these well and hope to get years of good service from them.

Nanoo Nanoo
Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I tossed it on the charger but the DPI charger had it fully charged and in a green light status in about 20 mins so I unplugged.

Why unplug the DPI? it is designed to keep the pack fully charged indefinitely. I leave my cart plugged in all the time when not being used and my batteries are 6 years old and working just fine!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
I tossed it on the charger but the DPI charger had it fully charged and in a green light status in about 20 mins so I unplugged.

Why unplug the DPI? it is designed to keep the pack fully charged indefinitely. I leave my cart plugged in all the time when not being used and my batteries are 6 years old and working just fine!
Good point. I guess they call them smart chargers for a reason.

So to simplify all the avenues of opinions on charging/seasoning/cycling, would it be safe to say just keep the darn thing plugged into the DPI Accusense when not in use and never use it to the point where it goes below 80% SOC?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be not below 20% SOC (State of Charge) or more than 80% DOD (Depth of Charge) ever.

The thick lead plates on a new battery are still going through a forming phase during its initial life after being activated (electrolyte added).

The main goal is not to place an excessive load during the first few cycles as the plates are not fully formed and the battery may not be able to perform its chemical reaction at higher rates.

Just don't put an extended 200 amp+ load on the batteries for the first few cycles and You will be fine.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That would be not below 20% SOC (State of Charge) or more than 80% DOD (Depth of Charge) ever.

The thick lead plates on a new battery are still going through a forming phase during its initial life after being activated (electrolyte added).

The main goal is not to place an excessive load during the first few cycles as the plates are not fully formed and the battery may not be able to perform its chemical reaction at higher rates.

Just don't put an extended 200 amp+ load on the batteries for the first few cycles and You will be fine.
Thanks Sergio!

What would a 200 amp+ load be? You mean like driving uphill with 4 passengers kinda thing?

I got this chart below off the forum. Should it instead read DOD or Depth of Charge top right? Just want to make sure I have all the terminology correct in my head. So again to simplify, at 50 volts (or approaching) on my digital meter, try to get it to the charger?

Thanks again!
Gazoo
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 2.01.40 PM.png (74.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is an SOC chart.
100% SOC is fully charged
0% SOC is a dead battery
DOD would be the inverse, 100% DOD is a dead battery.

Unless the Hill goes on for 30 minutes, it should be fine.

If You were to do the same exact driving placing the same exact load, You would notice the SOC staying higher as the batteries finish the forming process after several discharge/charge cycles.

It is like buying a new car, You don't want to go drag racing for the first 1,000 miles or so.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car