lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trailer hitch

I have a 2009 Club Car Precedent with a rear seat. I want to put a hitch on it to pull a yard trailer around the campground. Please give me some ideas. I know that I could buy a 2" receiver that mounts to the footrest but I don't think I need anything that heavy duty. Pictures of your hitch would be nice.
Toolmaker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Trailer hitch

Cheapest / easiest is to buy a pre-made kit and bolt it on.
I've made one but it's made to fit to a bed mount frame that I also made. It mostly gets used to pull a Buffalo turbine, some other landscape equipment, and occasionally other golf carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
jason78
Not Yet Wild

I recently bought an OEM Club Car hitch that mounts to the underside of the MAX5 rear seat footrest and the rear bumper. I'd go with a more solid hitch mount like this to be on the safe side. I can pull around the 5x10 steel utility trailer that I use to tow the cart just fine. I bought mine from Dave at Revolution. Its a 1.25" receiver I believe. Not sure what the point would be of a 2" receiver because you could never get close to that weight range with a cart.
jason78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
I recently bought an OEM Club Car hitch that mounts to the underside of the MAX5 rear seat footrest and the rear bumper. I'd go with a more solid hitch mount like this to be on the safe side. I can pull around the 5x10 steel utility trailer that I use to tow the cart just fine. I bought mine from Dave at Revolution. Its a 1.25" receiver I believe. Not sure what the point would be of a 2" receiver because you could never get close to that weight range with a cart.
IDK why he would need that size receiver either, but I changed everything I own to 2" hitches (after decades of changing balls) so I would not have to change my balls all the time. Maybe he has about a dozen receivers of different types (like I do) he would like to be able to use.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Make sure your hitch is directly attached to the frame. I had a 2" reciever added to my cart and it sucks. Tried to attach my deer hauler to it last season and it was totally inadecaute.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
IDK why he would need that size receiver either, but I changed everything I own to 2" hitches (after decades of changing balls) so I would not have to change my balls all the time. Maybe he has about a dozen receivers of different types (like I do) he would like to be able to use.
Ditto. I have loads of varying height ball mounts for my full size vehicles as well as other accessories like tow hooks, luggage carriers, etc. that I can use in my golf cart's 2" receiver. There is much more available for the larger receivers.

Even a class I hitch exceeds a golf cart's capacity. I went for versatility.

Mounting any hitch to the foot rest of a back seat kit doesn't appear very sturdy. That hitch is quite a ways from the frame. But I don't use my cart the way some folks do.

Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
Make sure your hitch is directly attached to the frame. I had a 2" reciever added to my cart and it sucks. Tried to attach my deer hauler to it last season and it was totally inadecaute.
Where was it attached if it wasn't to the frame?
SuperTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Ditto. I have loads of varying height ball mounts for my full size vehicles as well as other accessories like tow hooks, luggage carriers, etc. that I can use in my golf cart's 2" receiver. There is much more available for the larger receivers.

Even a class I hitch exceeds a golf cart's capacity. I went for versatility.

Mounting any hitch to the foot rest of a back seat kit doesn't appear very sturdy. That hitch is quite a ways from the frame. But I don't use my cart the way some folks do.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTroye View Post
Where was it attached if it wasn't to the frame?
Some hitches are made to attach to the foot rest on the rear seat, if the cart has it. They just aren't sturdy enough for real towing.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car