lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 DS Charging way to long

You never answered Fairtax4me question about the OBC current measuring circuit being intact.

You should have a single pack negative cable and it must go through the OBC opening.

You cannot force or drill the opening any larger as there is an electronic device surrounding that opening that measures the current flowing in the cable.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'm sorry. Yes the Pack negative is going through the hole in the OBC and there is no signs of wear corrosion on either end. There is also no other wires connected to the pack negative. When I got the cart everything was stock with the exception of a rear seat. So far the only thing i have done is add new batteries, cables and new wheels and tires.
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Also to answer Fairtax4me first question. Yes when the charger was plugged in after the first delay the meter pegged all the way to full amps then after a period of time dropped to 0 for a second then back to full amps. I did not check it until the next morning but the meter was hovering about 4 amps and stayed there until I unplugged it that evening well past the 16 hour cut off mark.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Unless Lester changed something with the OBC, whether the cable was or was not ran thru the hall sensor would not effect the charger cutting off after 16 hours. That was a timed control based on the relay closing in. The hall sensor was just monitoring/recording the energy units being removed and replenished.

If this has changed, someone let me know.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unless he sat in front of the cart, how do we know for sure it was a continuous run?

If the OBC cannot sense current going IN, that is the equivalent of not having AC power and the OBC will keep trying to charge.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No sir, not the way timed cut-off works (or maybe your is different from the ones I have owned and worked on). When the relay closes in, it starts the timer. At 16 hours, it will open the relay and the charger will turn off (unless it completed the charge profile and automatically turned off). If you would like to test it (I already have), just remove the fuse or lead wire from the back of a DS receptacle and plug the charge cable in. It will "sense" the pack voltage and close the relay and the charger will turn on but not deliver any DC amperage. After 16 hours, it will open the relay and turn off. I have had this happen with too many to count as a charger would get plugged in and come out the next day and no charge was delivered. Unplug and replug it and it would turn on, come back several hours later and it still be running but not charging. Wait a few hours and still no charge, soon thereafter the charger timed out. Got to investigating and would find a bad fuse in the receptacle or the 10g wire at B- had broken. But regardless, in any circumstance I was involved with and others I help, the charger would always time out unless the OBC was faulty...

PS- And I have had the vast majority of OBC failures (I have replaced ~50 or more) be with it failing internally and not turning off the charger, or just fail to cut the charger on. Have also had some that worked, but did not disable the cart - have had some that were intermittent, but the vast majority were the 2 types I described from my experiences.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #17
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the input. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate. I will see about ordering a new/like new smart charger and just bypass or remove (if that is an option) the OBC all together. Sounds like OBC's are more of a PITA than not. Who should I look at for a charger that is not too much $$$?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Lol! Not a debate at all. Just information sharing between friends with lots of experiences to share with others. Nothing but respects for everyone on here that are trying to help others...
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC has no way to detect AC power, it only knows there is no AC if tries to charge and no current is sensed.

I am sure You have seen one of these Club Car instructions for long term storage:
https://www.clubcar.com/content/%64a...orageFlier.pdf
The comment on the bullet #5 is also repeated in many Club Car manuals.

So either the OBC keeps the charger relay ON for 7 days, or it activates periodically after X number of minutes and waits Y number of minutes before deciding there is no AC power.

I never tested and I never found any description exactly how often and for how long the "check for AC" process runs, so how do you know if it was the maximum charge timer or the AC timer that was still running?

I only argue to seek or convey knowledge, It does not bother me who is right
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't have any idea on the timer functions, but it doesn't seem to me like his charger would be losing AC power at random for several hours without being noticed...

I have a handful of carts I'm bringing into the shop this week to top up batteries on. I can set one up to charge and remove the AC power and see if/how long it takes for the OBC to time out after losing power.

Sergio, that link doesn't work for me. It does load club cars site, but says that page is not found.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car