lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
Wbk1972
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New battery charging

Lol according to JohnieBs further comments on that thread new chargers have basically the same internals just better lipstick and mascara as he put it. I agree kind of looks impossible but it does say electronic battery monitoring on it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Wbk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbk1972 View Post
Lol according to JohnieBs further comments on that thread new chargers have basically the same internals just better lipstick and mascara as he put it. I agree kind of looks impossible but it does say electronic battery monitoring on it.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To the best of my recollection, the picture in Post-1 is the first time I've seen this version of the Total Charge (no suffix). The first attachment is the one I'm familiar with, but this one looks to be the same.

The giveaway is the way the numbers are arranged on the timer dial. If the first number CW from the OFF position is "11", then the charger has a control board that automatically shuts off the charger when the on-charge voltage climbs to 45V +/-1V. The mechanical timer serves two purposes, first it is a backup timer that shuts of charger is the on-charge voltage does climb to the cutoff voltage (45V) within 12 hours and secondly, the pointer indicates how long the charger stayed on when it shuts off automatically.

Attachments 2, 3 & 4 are manual (Timer only) chargers, despite "Automatic Charger" labels on some of them. The giveaway is the number "1" immediately CW of the off position. I suspect they called it that because the max output amps was limited to about 20A no matter how low the battery voltage was at the start and then automatically decreased as the on-charge voltage climbed above about 40V.

Technically a lead-acid, deep-cycle, wet-cell battery is not fully charged until the SG (specific gravity) of the electrolyte ceases increasing while a charging current is passing through it. Since the battery voltage tracks the SG of the electrolyte, it can be inferred that the battery isn't fully charged until on-charge voltage ceases rising while a charging current is passing through the electrolyte. Modern battery chargers use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) to terminate the charge cycle and as a result, fully charge the batteries, or extremely close to it, while the legacy Ferroresonant Transformer type chargers shut off at a pre-selected voltage thought to be low enough not to overcharge older batteries while not seriously undercharging newer batteries.

-----------
For maximum battery life expectancy, use a charge the has dV/dT and float charges after the regular charge cycle terminates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC-I Model 20484.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Textron - Timer.jpg (138.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Grey manual charger Face-plate .jpg (86.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Face-plate 0620121048-00.jpg (68.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Wbk1972
Not Yet Wild

Mine is identical to the last one just with green faceplate

Old 04-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
rib33024

I had one of these chargers in the first post. It worked great. And it will turn off automatically when the batteries are fully charged.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
Wbk1972
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I had one of these chargers in the first post. It worked great. And it will turn off automatically when the batteries are fully charged.
Thank you,

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO