lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dead Cart, Help Diagnose based on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaustex View Post
Perfect thanks. Should be good to go soon!
I added some extra stuff above, to try and explain how the thing failed. Don't worry if you don't understand right away. Stick around here awhile, even after you are up and running, and you can't help but learn.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Make sure you install the diode - the small component on the small terminals - the same way the old one was, with the band on the side with red wires. This solenoid doesn't care which way you hook up the coil wires or the contactor cables. The only thing that is polarized is the diode. The resistor doesn't care.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #23
gregaustex
Not Yet Wild

Progress of sorts.

Put the new relay in. Double checked the diode. Reused the resistor that goes along the bottom from my old one.

Now the cart runs, but gutless. Feels like half power or so?

Double checked and everything is tight and "right". Took a picture and was not really that complicated.

Ideas?
gregaustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Progress of sorts.

Put the new relay in. Reused the resistor that goes along the bottom from my old one.

Now the cart runs, but gutless. Feels like half power or so?

Will re-check all the connections (I took a pic), but everything is tight and it wasn't very complicated so I think it will be "right".

Ideas?
I included the resistor. Did you check inside the bubble wrap "pocket"?

It's a solenoid, not relay.

Try removing the 1/2 speed orange wire from the FNR MS4 on the wiring diagram I gave you a link to earlier. Could be MS4 is stuck closed.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Often on series carts, the four wire Molex connector that connects the throttle MS and ITS to the wiring harness sometimes (often?) gets corroded. Try unplugging, spraying contact cleaner, and plug, unplug, plug a few times. It's located between the controller/solenoid and the FNR. You more than likely "disturbed" it while installing your HD solenoid. If that helps, hurts, or changes how it behaves, cut the Molex off and solder or butt splice the four wire pairs and cover with a good quality adhesive heat shrink.

If that doesn't help, try this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Molex.jpeg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #26
gregaustex
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Often on series carts, the four wire Molex connector that connects the throttle MS and ITS to the wiring harness sometimes (often?) gets corroded. Try unplugging, spraying contact cleaner, and plug, unplug, plug a few times. It's located between the controller/solenoid and the FNR. You more than likely "disturbed" it while installing your HD solenoid. If that helps, hurts, or changes how it behaves, cut the Molex off and solder or butt splice the four wire pairs and cover with a good quality adhesive heat shrink.

If that doesn't help, try this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html
Great suggestions, will try them.

Sorry meant to say solenoid.

I knew you had mentioned the resistor but I went through the packaging carefully and no luck. Just did it again. Do you think the resistance of this solenoid might be different than stock?

Will look at the hings you suggested.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Great suggestions, will try them.

Sorry meant to say solenoid.

I knew you had mentioned the resistor but I went through the packaging carefully and no luck. Just did it again. Do you think the resistance of this solenoid might be different than stock?

Will look at the hings you suggested.
You're resister is fine. 36 volts needs 250 ohms. You change it when you go to 42 or 48 volts.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #28
gregaustex
Not Yet Wild

Pulled the connector, cleaned it out, that did the trick!

I guess the universal rule of troubleshooting applies to golf carts as much as anything else. There are always 2 things.

Thanks for all the help. Time to change the oil in the diff now :-)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Pulled the connector, cleaned it out, that did the trick!

I guess the universal rule of troubleshooting applies to golf carts as much as anything else. There are always 2 things.

Thanks for all the help. Time to change the oil in the diff now :-)
So, bad solenoid and bad Molex. 2 for 2.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #30
gregaustex
Not Yet Wild

Your track record is perfect so far.

One last oddity I need to figure out (seeing as so far I haven't figured anything out yet myself :-)

Feels like it is running with normal power, good torque, what I am used to as I go up the hill by my house. Then suddenly there's a surge and more power yet. Then after a bit it goes away...it's subtle and I only notice it because it comes on while I've already got it floored, but definite.

I might not have cleaned out that connector enough? I haven't direct wired it yet.

BTW I'd like to have a word with the guy at EZ-GO who decided there needed to be two awkward to access bolts on the bottom of that controller cover now that I've had to take it on and off a few times.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO