lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Ronniek
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How long to charge batteries?

Hello everyone, I bought a 98 Club Car 48v yesterday. The guy had it on charge then saying it needed charging bad. He said the batteries were good. I put them on charge around 2pm yesterday charged all night & this morning the needle on the charger was at 10 (half way). Took it for a 1/2 mile ride this morning. Had very quick takeoff but didn't seem to be going fast at all wide open after that. And when I let off the pedal you can feel it braking. Put it back on charge & it's been charging all day (8 hrs). Haven't rode it since this morning. Could the batteries have been so dead that it would take this long to charge? Here are the specs.

PowderDrive2 charger
Gauge 0-5-10-15 with the needle on 7

Batteries:
5 U8VGC batteries & 1 US8VGCG K10
Ronniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: How long to charge batteries?

Ronniek, you're gonna need a digital voltmeter for us to be able to help you help yourself. If you don't have one, get one. Spend about $25. If you have one check each battery voltage and report them here. We'll take it from there. Any idea how old the pack is? Is it a matched pack? Completely stock cart?

Yes, the batteries COULD be so far down as to require a long charge time. Make sure that the water levels are correct BEFORE any more charging.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Ronniek
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Batteries:
5 U8VGC batteries & 1 US8VGCG K10
The 5 batteries are Interstate, is the date in the number U8VGC? Or something else. The odd batt has a circle sticker with K10 on it so I'm thinking it's a 2010?

I hooked my meter up & while charging here's the numbers:
1: 9.5
2: 9.5
3: 10.1 (odd K10 batt)
4: 9.6
5: 9.5
6: 9.5

Car is totally stock.

Not Charging:
1: 8.8
2: 8.8
3: 9.1 (odd K10 batt)
4: 8.9
5: 9.0
6: 9.0

Took it for a ride & did have more power, so hopefully the batteries were really low?
Ronniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Pack voltage seems ok . . . date code is stamped into top of negative terminal on battery . . should be a letter and number, ie, E9 (which would be May 2009) . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Leaving batteries in a low state of charge is bad for them. Depending upon how low and for how long they have sat, recharging could take 16 hours or more?

Your readings show that the charger is working. Test drive shows they are holding some voltage but how much?

Let the charger run until it shuts off. the pack should be in the 58-63v range. Let the batteries sit and settle for 12 hours and recheck pack and individual voltages. This will give a better idea of what they can hold, voltage-wise.
Compare those numbers to this state of charge chart below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC-new-print-003.jpg (62.6 KB, 167 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car